Thank you for your interest in developing study abroad opportunities for our students. Please contact Cindy Schaarschmidt, Director, Student Fellowships & Study Abroad, to discuss your ideas. Proposals for summer 2020 and academic year 2020-2021 programs will be due August 31st, 2019, and proposals for early fall 2020 programs will be due October 15th, 2019.
Study Abroad Info Sessions for Faculty
If you are interested in proposing a study abroad program, please come to one of our faculty information sessions to learn more about our priorities for study abroad, the proposal process, and how to create a budget for your program. Here are the spring quarter dates (all sessions will be held in WCG 322):
- Tue, April 16, 12:30-1:20PM
- Wed, May 1, 12:30-1:20PM
- Thu, May 9, 3-4PM
Study Abroad Priorities
As the UW Tacoma Office of Global Affairs, we prioritize academically rigorous global learning programs that provide opportunities for our students to:
- Engage meaningfully with local communities in the host country;
- Conduct faculty-guided and independent research, scholarly, or creative work;
- Study the host country’s language (where applicable);
- Deepen their understanding of cultural diversity and develop global self-awareness; and
- Reflect on learning as part of the program, both in and out of the classroom.
We are also looking for program proposals in all fields of study that:
- Include coursework at the 200-300 level;
- Combine on-campus coursework with a study abroad program (so-called hybrid programs);
- Align with the social justice mission of UW Tacoma and the UW Race & Equity initiative;
- Are located in or visit Tacoma’s sister cities;
- Are developed in partnerships with two-year or four-year colleges and universities in the region.
Before you start working on your program proposal, please carefully review our faculty-led program policies.
Please note that a complete program proposal includes:
- Completed Faculty-led Program Proposal - please request at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Syllabus for each course,
- Program spending plan (budget) - please request at email@example.com
- Signed letter of agreement for each program instructor
- Signed letter of approval from academic department (home unit) of each program instructor