The UW Tacoma Teaching and Learning Center (TLC) invites faculty, staff, and students from all backgrounds to join with us in creating a culture of learning.
Consultants work collaboratively with students in writing, math, science and statistics, helping them to develop the skills, strategies, knowledge, and confidence necessary for academic success.
Through 25 or 50 minute face-to-face or online appointments, we offer support during all stages of the writing process, including:
- Understanding assignments and disciplinary expectations of writing
- Feedback on drafts and other assignments
- Writing strategies, such as:
- Brainstorming and idea development
- Constructing a clear thesis and argument
- Understanding the revision process
- Improving grammar, punctuation, and word choice
- Assistance with citation styles such as MLA, APA, Chicago, IEEE, ASE and AP
We also offer 25 minute drop-in consultations.
We offer drop-in consultations for many quantitative courses/ subjects, such as:
- Environmental sciences
- Computer science
- Math review for new students
We also offer support in using software and calculators for math and statistics, as well as in developing the study skills you’ll need for math, statistics and other quantitative subjects.
Spanish Language Tutoring
We offer one-to-one and small group tutoring for Spanish language learning, plus a weekly conversation hour during most weeks of the academic quarter.
We offer support to faculty looking for:
- Feedback on syllabi and assignment sheets
- In-class workshops on all parts of the writing process
We can also offer assistance and support for working with multicultural/multilingual students.