The e-Syllabus: Campus Information, Resources, Policies and Expectations

Main page content

The e-Syllabus:

Course Links to UW Tacoma Resources, Policies, and Expectations



Academic Calendar - Review course drop, withdrawal, instruction dates.

Academic Honesty - Review Expectations, Policies, Consequences.

Bias Incident Reporting Website - A resource for anyone who needs to report an incident of bias or wants to explore and better understand issues like bias and discrimination, and how to effectively respond. -

Campus Safety Information

Emergencies, Safety, and Evacuation

Inclement Weather - always check the UWT Home Page  Official campus closures or delays will be announced there first. Course Announcements and Email regarding assignments and expectations during a closure will follow once the severity of the situation is known.

  • "Call 253-383-INFO or check the UW Tacoma homepage to determine whether campus operations have been suspended or delayed. If not, but driving conditions remain problematic, call the professor's office number. This number should provide information on whether a particular class will be held or not, and/or the status of pending assignments. If the first two numbers have been contacted and the student is still unable to determine whether a class(es) will be held, or the student has a part-time instructor who does not have an office phone or contact number, call the program office number for updated information."

Infants/Children in Class Policy - Mothers who are breastfeeding an infant, or expressing milk, may do so in class without the permission of the instructor. Or if you prefer to breastfeed or breast-pump outside of class, you may take time out of class to use the lactation room (GWP 410). However, in either case, it is a good idea to communicate with the instructor ahead of time. If you want to bring an older infant or child(ren) to class, you must get permission from the instructor ahead of time. If permission is granted, you are responsible for seeing that the child or children are not disruptive to the class and for ensuring that all additional University policies and rules are followed by those that you bring. There are some classes where it may not be safe for an infant, child or children to be present, and in those cases, an instructor may restrict an infant, child or children from being present in class. - Approved by the Executive Council on 2/17/17.

Religious Accommodations -  “Washington state law requires that UW develop a policy for accommodation of student absences or significant hardship due to reasons of faith or conscience, or for organized religious activities. The UW’s policy, including more information about how to request an accommodation, is available at Religious Accommodations Policy. Accommodations must be requested within the first two weeks of this course using the Religious Accommodations Request form.”

SafeCampus - preventing violence is a shared responsibility in which everyone at the UW plays apart. The SafeCampus website provides information on counseling and safety resources, University policies, and violence reporting requirements help us maintain a safe personal, work and learning environment.

Student Conduct in Remote Learning Contexts - The Student Conduct Code remains in place for all students whether a course is offered in-person, online, or remotely. The instructor’s intellectual property rights and the privacy of all course participants must not be violated by students at UW Tacoma. Students may not share course materials with non-class members without explicit written permission from the course instructor. Harassment or bullying of instructors and students, including via electronic media, the internet, social networks, blogs, cell phones, and text messages, will not be tolerated. Students found responsible for such infractions are subject to disciplinary sanctions. Students may not record any part of a class session without the express consent of the instructor unless approved as a disability accommodation. Individual course instructors may record course sessions but only for use by registered class members for instructional purposes. All recordings will be housed on secure platforms authorized by UW.

Technology Requirements – how to be a successful digital learner:

Use of Third-party software - Your course may incorporate various online software and other technologies. Some technologies require you to either create an account on an external site or develop assignment content using them. The content, as well as your name/username or other personally identifying information, may be publicly available as a result. While the purpose of these assignments is to engage with technology as a means for representing the content covered in class, please contact your instructor to discuss your concerns and to explore an alternative activity if you object to potentially sharing your account, name or other content you create in these technologies. If digital technology is a concern, there are ways to mask author identification we can employ.

UW Tacoma Email Policy - Make sure you use your UW email for all University correspondence!


Academic Support

Numerous campus resources are available to support your academic success. Know your options and seek help and resources when needed.

Disability Resources for Students - resources and support for students with disabilities

Library  -  The UW Tacoma Library provides services and tools to support students at all levels of expertise.  You can:

Librarians help students become more confident about the research process, including developing paper topics, utilizing effective research strategies, and evaluating resources. Scheduled or drop-in help is available. Visit our website at or see us in person in the Snoqualmie (SNO) or Tioga Library Buildings (TLB).

Research Support – get assistance starting  a research project

Subject Librarians - Make an appointment with a subject librarian to talk about library resources, research strategies, focusing a topic, evaluating information and more.

Student Success Mentoring Program - Connect with a faculty or staff mentor

Teaching and Learning Center - (TLC) 2nd floor of the Snoqualmie building 

Writing & Spanish support - writing consultations, online tutoring, workshops & support

Quantitative skills support -  peer tutoring available for math, science, statistics and more...

ESL Support - Help for students whose first language is not English

Technology Support - Labs, software, equipment checkout and help with Canvas, Google, email, logins, etc.

Digital Support Consultants - If technology is stressing you out and you need a little bit of help, drop-into the TLC (2nd floor SNO) and have one of our digital support consultants work with you. From learning how to collaborate using Google Apps, create Excel spreadsheets, to simply formatting research papers, they can help. This service is funded by your STFC.

Online Support for Your Course Work -

Self and Family Support

Everyone needs a little help sometimes. Here are a few campus resources on campus to help you get through those challenging times. 

Bias Incident Reporting Website -  A resource for anyone who needs to report an incident of bias or wants to explore and better understand issues like bias and discrimination, and how to effectively respond.

Center for Equity & Inclusion (WCG 104) - Resources and support for students regarding diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice issues.

Child Care Assistance Program (MAT 103) - Parenting students are encouraged to take advantage of the resources provided on campus. These resources include the Huskies and Pups RSO, the Childcare Assistance Program, on-campus Family-Friendly Spaces, priority access at the MUSE, and back-up/sick care at one of these locations Bright Horizons and KinderCare. On campus resources include lactation rooms and baby changing stations. For more detailed information, visit  or contact the Huskies and Pups RSO:

Counseling Center (Office of Student Success) - The Counseling Center offers short-term, problem-focused counseling to UW Tacoma students who may feel overwhelmed by the responsibilities of college, work, family, and relationships. Counselors are available to help students cope with stresses and personal issues that may interfere with their ability to perform in school. The service is provided confidentially and without additional charge to currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students. To schedule an appointment, please call 253-692-4522, email, or stop by the Student Counseling Center (SCC), located in MAT 354. Additional information can also be found by visiting:

UWT Student Health Center - All UW Tacoma students who pay the Services and Activities Fee (SAF) now receive student health services at six Franciscan Prompt Care clinics: Bonney LakeBurienGig HarborLakewoodPuyallup, Tacoma. The “distributive care model” provides students more ways to access health care through six CHI Franciscan Health prompt care facilities throughout the Puget Sound, as well as access to Franciscan Virtual Urgent Care, at no additional cost. The Franciscan Prompt Care clinic located across the street from St. Joseph Medical Center, just up the hill from campus, is designated as the UW Tacoma clinic where students will receive priority treatment. The former Student Health Services clinic located in Laborer’s Hall on Market Street has closed. These changes do no affect which students can utilize Student Health Services. All current SAF-paying UW Tacoma students have access to Student Health Services, even those who have health insurance.  All appointments are now scheduled by calling 253.428.2200. 

Military-Connected Student Statement - If you are a student who is a veteran, on active duty, in the reserves or national guard, or a military spouse or dependent, then stay in contact with your instructor if any aspect of your present or prior service or family situation makes it difficult for you to fulfill the requirements of a course or creates disruption in your academic progress.  It is important to make your instructor aware of any complication, then he/she will work with you and, if needed, put you in contact with university staff who are trained to assist you. Campus resource for veterans, service members and families are located in the Veteran and Military Resource Center, TLB 307A.  The VMRC can be reached at uwtva@uw.ed, 253-692-4923

Oasis Center - Oasis transforms the lives of queer youth by creating a safe place to learn, connect, and thrive. Oasis envisions a world in which queer youth are valued in the community as strong, creative leaders. Oasis is the only drop-in and support center dedicated to the needs of LGBTQ youth ages 14-24 in Pierce County. We are a youth-adult partnership in which youth and adults come together for shared teaching learning and action!  Office Phone: 253-671-2838 Emergency Cell Phone: (253) 988-2108 

The Pantry - to provide supplemental, nutritional, and culturally relevant food as well as hygiene items to all UWT students and their families. Location and information can be found by visiting:

Resources for low-income and people experiencing homelessness:

Shelter for Young Adults (close to campus) - Beacon Center - Shelter for young adults 18-24, Open daily 6:30 pm – 6:30 am. Doors close at 10 pm. Located at:
Beacon Senior Center 415 South 13th Street Tacoma, WA. The shelter has 40 beds and serves young people ages 18-24. Please call 253-256-3087 for more information.

Short-term Loan Program - The Office of Student Financial Aid has funds available for short-term loans to assist students with temporary cash flow problems. Funds are generally available within one to four working days, only to students who are currently attending the university (loans cannot be processed between quarters). Repayment is due by the next quarter, or whenever additional funds such as financial aid arrive on account, whichever comes first. There is no interest on the short-term loans but there is a service charge added to the repayment amount. Students may apply online through MyUW under "Personal Services." Paper application forms are also available in the Financial Aid Office, but the processing time is longer. Learn more about short-term loans

Student Advocacy and Support  - The Office of Student Advocacy and Support provides referral and support services to students. The purpose of this office is to assist student in developing strategies to overcome and address barriers that prevent them from achieving their educational goals. The student and staff work together to establish a set of goals and action steps to address barriers in the student’s life. We help students navigate on and off campus resources that can address issues such as housing insecurity, food, safety and security, relationship issues, physical and mental health care and financial hardships. You may set up an appointment by filling out a referral form: , sending an email, calling 205-692-5934, or stop by our office MAT 203.