Declaring a major

Main page content

If you have not yet applied to a major — For example psychology, communications, business administration or social welfare — you are considered an undeclared student. Undeclared students can be first-year students, sophomores, juniors or — in very rare instances — seniors.

As an undeclared student, you can learn more about academic advising on the University Academic Advising Center website.  While most students declare a major by the end of their second year, it is also normal for students to change their major several times before graduation. UW Tacoma has many majors to choose from. Some majors are capacity-constrained — there are only a certain number of seats available and students need to apply — others don't require prerequisites.