Your academic advisor is an important resource to help you get the most out of your time at the university. Your advisor is here to answer any questions you might have about your degree, to help you plan your classes, and to support you as you work toward your long-term academic and professional goals. Students are strongly encouraged to make an appointment with the Urban Studies advisor on admission to one of our majors, and to keep in regular contact.
Urban Studies Advising
Carmen Wilson, Advisor
Office: PNK 221
Advising Hours: Appointment only
URBAN-STUDENTS is an email list for current Urban Studies students. This email list will provide you with reminders of upcoming deadlines, registration information, job and internship opportunities, special events, graduation information and more.
Expanding your horizons beyond the classroom can help you make the most of your UW Tacoma experience.
- Join one of our student organizations: CIVITAS or GIS Society. Click here for more.
- Find opportunities to volunteer, show up at community events, network, and more in our Google Drive. It's a file filled with opportunities we think will interest our students and further their experience. Click here to start exploring.
You are encouraged to use the online Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) to check on progress toward your degree. DARS is a useful tool but it should not replace one-on-one degree planning with the Urban Studies advisor. The worksheets and links below may also be useful.
- BS Urban Design Degree Planning Worksheet
- BA Sustainable Urban Development Degree Planning Worksheet
BA Sustainable Urban Development Core Electives List
- BA Urban Studies Degree Planning Worksheet
Under exceptional circumstances, a student may petition for a substitution to the Urban Studies core curriculum. The petition is reviewed by the administrator and faculty. You will be required to describe the circumstances of the course being petitioned. The decision generally has no applicability beyond the petitioner and is considered on a case-by-case basis. The decion does not automatically apply to other petitioners.
Before submitting a course petition:
- Consult with your academic advisor.
- Check your degree audit through MyPlan to see how your transfer and/or UW credit is currently being applied toward graduation and major requirements.
- Review degree planning worksheet(s) for your major(s)
After consultation with academic advisor and it is determined that a course petition is appropriate, submit the petition and all supporting documentation.
- Complete the online course petition form (advisor will provide link to the form)
- Include a copy of course syllabus, which must include:
- Evaluation criteria for course (i.e. exams, papers, projects)
- Weekly topics to be covered/discussed in course
- Required Readings/textbooks used
- Provide justification of how the substituted course satisfies and aligns with course objectives and learning outcomes. Provide detailed examples (referencing course syllabus), as needed.
The review process can take up to 3 weeks to process. You will be notified of the decision by email. If you have any technical problems submitting the petition, contact us at 253.692.5880 or by email at email@example.com.