Additional Funding

Main page content

There are a number of resources available to you to help pay for your college expenses. Many are listed below.

VA Educational Benefits

One of the first things you will want to do is apply for your VA education benefit. The VA certifying officials are located in Veteran and Military Services Office and are a resource to guide you through the complex process of receiving your benefits — from answering questions about the various education benefits, the application and certification process, and advocating on your behalf with the VA.

As a Veteran you may also qualify for additional resources through one of the state waiver programs. If eligible, these state waivers can supplement your VA education benefit by applying the portion of tuition that is not covered by the VA. Even if you have exhausted your VA benefits you may still qualify for a state tuition waiver of up to 50%.

Tuition Assistance

If you are Active Military, Reservist, or a National Guard member, you may eligible for tuition assistance. For further information, contact the Education Services Office.

Financial Aid

In addition to utilizing your VA Education Benefits, you will also want to apply for financial aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA will determine your eligibility for all federal, state and institutional funding. More information about completing the FAFSA, the Husky Promise Program, student loans, and important deadlines can be found at the Office of Student Financial Aid’s website.

Scholarships for Military Veterans and Families

The Office of Student Fellowships & Awards provides strong support for students interested in applying for scholarships and fellowships with specific opportunities, such as the Tillman Scholarship for active-duty service members, veterans and their families.

The Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards at the University of Washington Seattle has also developed a listing of scholarships for military veterans and their families.

Short Term Emergency Loans

If you find yourself in a situation where there is a time lag between your VA benefits being applied and/or your financial aid is pending, you can go online to your UW account and apply for a Short Term Emergency Loan (STL) under the Personal Services tab. Information about the STL can be found at the Office of Student Financial Aid.

VA Work Study

If you are a full time or 3/4 time student in a degree program, you can “earn while you learn” with a VA work study allowance. Additional information about VA Work Study can be found on the VA website.