Main page content

Q. How do I receive my financial aid?

A. UWT Students utilized both VA Education Benefits and Financial Grants/Loans to register a week before the quarter and have a direct deposit set up in MyUW. The financial aid funds will be automatically released and deposited into your account in approximately 2-3 days.

Those who register after the deadline must request for Financial Aid to release your funds via your UW email to uwtfa@uw.edu.

Note: You are responsible for paying any balance on your account, not covered or approved by your VA benefits.

Q. Why hasn't my tuition been paid?

A. Not submitting a quarterly certification request to the VMRC is the common issue to late or no VA stipends. Please follow this LINK, log in using your UW NetID, and submit or edit your VA Benefits Request.

Note: Chapter 33 tuition payments are submitted to the VA after UW's Add/Drop Period. Once submitted, it can take the VA 4-6 weeks to submit payment to UW Tacoma. Please note, Chapter 33 recipient enrolled with VMRC will not receive late fees for VA payments made after the tuition deadline. 

If your tuition has not been paid by the end of the quarter or you have not received any VA payments (after the first month of the quarter), please contact the VMRC.

Q. Can I use my VA benefits to take any class?


VA will approve:

  • Courses specifically required for the degree major (the VA will use your Degree Audit).
  • UW formally approved the student's Dual Majors, and this is reflected in student records.
    • Need The VRMC will need an updated COP with both Majors, and when one of the degrees is done, another COP for the remaining Major (the electives are interchangeable- two audits are run).
  • Minor Courses that fall within the current Major as an elective (view audits or email from the Academic Advisors to support it is within the Major (not Minor). 
  • They are using the VA's Round Out Rule to finish their degree with any class and want to stay Full-Time with Benefits. For the Last Quarter ONLY.

Students ONLY using the State Waivers do not need supporting documents or additional approvals. 

  • Using benefits: Only courses part of the program and reflected on your VMRC paperwork will be approved.
    • Any unapproved courses will be out of pocket cost for Chapter 33 & Chapter 33 TOE
    • Chapter 31 student- please contact VR&E Case Manager for approvals.
    • Chapter 35 students with a tuition waiver: will have the tuition exempt, but this will not reflect GI Bill Stipends- only the approved courses are submitted.

Q. Why haven't I received my monthly BAH stipend?

A1. Review your emails for any or paperwork issues. And double-check of your quarterly certification request is correctly submitted. Please follow this LINK, log in using your UW NetID, and submit your request.

A2. The VA typically pays on the first of every month from the previous month. For example, on October 1st, you'll get your funds for September. 

Note: Payments are prorated, and you only get paid for the number of days each month you are in school.

A3. For Chapters 30 and 1606: Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of each month. You will not receive payment until you have confirmed your attendance on WAVES.

A4. If your certification request was delayed, the VA may not have processed your request yet; it can take anywhere from 3-4 weeks after your certification request has been sent from the school to the VA. 

All students will receive an "enrollment" or "adjustment" emails from VAOnce once the VMRC completes your Cert Request. 

For Chapter 33/ Chapter 33 TOE, an "amendment" from VAOnce is to indicate the tuition was requested.

A5. Previous overpayments (debts)/balances with the VA could be satisfied by current awards or stipends. Please call the VA Regional Education Office at 1-888-442-4551 for more details.

Q. How do I receive funds via direct deposit?

A. Direct deposit authorization is initiated at the time of VA benefit activation. To update, change, or add direct deposit account information, call the regional VA office at 1-877-838-2778 or 1-888-442-4551.

Or through your ebenefits account or Vets.Gov accounts.

Q. I need verification of enrollment to renew my military ID. Where do I get this?

A. Contact the Office of the Registrar reguwt@uw.edu

Q. How can I find out how many months of benefits I have remaining?

A. This information is available through your ebenefits account or Vets.Gov's education tab. 

If you do not already have an account, visit their website to set one up or call the VA Regional Education Office at 1-888-442-4551.

Q. Can I use my VA education benefits to study abroad?


VA will Approve:

• Students must be enrolled in courses that apply to their program. 

• The program at the "host" school in a foreign country school must be approved. 

• VA cannot pay study abroad fees unless required as part of the student's program. 

VA will cover:

•VA could pay the home school's tuition, up to the in-state maximum allowed. (Room and board charges cannot be included in tuition costs)

•VA could provide a monthly housing allowance to the student if the student is enrolled more than ½-time that the student uses to help pay room and board costs

• VA could provide books and supplies stipend

VA will not cover:

• VA cannot pay airfare

• VA cannot pay amenities fees or host school fees (lodge or meals).

Each Benefit is different; please contact the VMRC Benefits Advisors for advice.

Q. Where can I find more information about the Choice Act and how it affects tuition reduction for veterans and eligible spouse/child?

A. Please review information at the following link regarding Tuition Reduction for Veterans and Eligible Spouse/Child. Additional information is available at the following VA site: Section 702 of the Choice Act.