Veterans Work-Study Program

Main page content

Who is eligible?

The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training under the following programs:

  • Montgomery GI Bill® — Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
  • Vocational Training and Rehabilitation for Veterans With Service-Connected Disabilities (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
  • Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® — Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
  • Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work-study only while training in a state. VA will select students for the work-study program based on different factors. Such factors include:
    • Disability of the student.
    • Ability of the student to complete the work-study contract before the end of his or her eligibility to education benefits.
    • Job availability within normal commuting distance to the student.
    • VA will give the highest priority to a veteran who has a service-connected disability or disabilities rated by VA at 30 percent or more.

What type of work may I do?

Services you perform under a VA work-study program must be related to VA work. Examples of acceptable work are:

  • Processing VA paperwork at schools or VA offices.
  • Performing outreach services under the supervision of a VA employee.
  • Performing services at VA medical facilities or the offices of the National Cemetery System.

How much may I earn?

You will earn an hourly wage equal to the federal minimum wage or your state minimum wage, whichever is greater. These earnings are tax exempt.

How do I sign up?

Call the Department of Veterans Affairs regional office at 1-800-827-1000 (or 1-800-829-4833 for the hearing impaired) and ask for the current listing of authorized work-study locations in your city.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at