Contact your academic advisor before dropping any course because it could delay graduation!
Refer to the current UW Tacoma Catalog for details about dropping courses and withdrawal options.
Find out about fee's associated with Drops, Withdrawals, Forfeitures & Refunds.
If I change my mind about taking a class, can I drop (during Registration Periods I, II, or III)?
- Courses may be dropped without restriction from the first day of Registration Period I through the 7th calendar day of the quarter (Period III). No record of the dropped course(s) will be recorded on the transcript; however, a quarter withdrawal statement will appear.
What if I go to the first class then decide to drop?
- The Unrestricted Drop Period is from the 8th calendar day of the quarter through the 14th calendar day of the quarter. Courses may be dropped without restriction during this period. No record of the dropped course(s) will be recorded on the transcript, however, a quarter withdrawal statement will appear. There is a $20 Change of Registration Fee charged for all registration changes made on a single day during this period. A tuition forfeiture may be charged.
How do I use the "Annual Drop"?
- Each academic year (September through August) you may drop one course after the 14th calendar day of a quarter, but no later than the the end of the Late Course Drop Period. Once this "annual drop" is used, no additional drops will be permitted after the 14th calendar day until the next autumn quarter. A "W" grade and the week designation (W3 through W7) will follow the course title on your academic transcript. There is a $20 Change of Registration Fee charged for all registration changes made on a single day during this period. A tuition forfeiture may be charged.
How can I drop a class during weeks three through seven if I've already used my one "annual drop"?
- If you've already used your one "annual drop" (one drop available September through August each academic year), you have only two options: (1) completely withdraw from the University for the quarter (drop all classes, forfeit all tuition, etc.); or (2) if you qualify, petition for a Hardship Withdrawal from the course.
How can I drop a class after the seventh week of the quarter?
- After the end of the seventh week of the quarter, there are only two ways to drop a class: (1) completely withdraw from the university for the quarter (drop all classes, forfeit all tuition, etc.) before the last day of instruction.; or (2) if you qualify, submit a "Hardship Withdrawal Petition" for the course (form available here)
- If you have been in attendance and done satisfactory work until within two weeks of the end of the quarter, you can request an incomplete from your instructor and, if he or she grants your request, you can make up the work during the subsequent quarter. Your instructor may require you to furnish proof that the work cannot be completed because of illness or other circumstances beyond your control. Incompletes are granted at the discretion of individual instructors.
If you have questions about your particular situation, please see your advisor.