How to Apply
If you are a current UW Tacoma student
- Declare Urban Studies as your major by completing the Declare/Change Major form.
- Write a personal statement and submit to the Urban Studies program office (Pinkerton 300 or Campus Box 358437).
If you are not a current UW Tacoma student
- If you are transferring from a community college or another school, complete the Application for Transfer Admission and select Urban Studies in section 2 under "Program Selector".
- If you were previously enrolled at UW Tacoma, submit the Returning Student Application in lieu of the Application for Transfer Admission.
- If you are an international student, complete the Application for International Transfer Admission. Review the additional requirements for international students.
- Write a personal statement (you will submit it as part of your online application above).
- Submit your official transcripts.
All applicants are required to submit a personal statement addressing your motivation for pursuing an Urban Studies degree; how the degree can blend your educational and career goals; your involvement in community-based activities and personal and professional accomplishments. It should describe your personal strengths and experiences that support your interest and commitment for the degree. This is also where you should address any weaknesses on transcripts or explain adversity experienced that affected previous academic performance.
The personal statement is a very important part of your application and will be used to assess your qualifications and fit within the program.
The Urban Studies program admits majors for every quarter except summer. Complete applications received by the priority application date will be assured of a review; complete applications received after the priority application date will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
AUTUMN 2016 - MARCH 15, 2016 (priority deadline). Transfer applicants for Autumn, 2016 are welcome to apply through 8/31/2016. Prospective Freshman interested in joining UW Tacoma for Autumn, 2016 are welcome to apply through 6/30/2016.
WINTER 2017 - OCTOBER 15, 2016
SPRING 2017 - FEBRUARY 15, 2017
AUTUMN 2017 - MARCH 15, 2017
If you have completed the prerequisites listed below with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 and have earned at least 40 credits, you can be considered for admission to the bachelor of arts in Urban Studies.
- Three years of high school math through intermediate (second year) algebra or a course in intermediate algebra at the college level
- 5 credits of English composition
In order to graduate, you will also be expected to meet the following general university requirements, many of which can be fulfilled with lower-division coursework:
- Two years in high school of the same foreign language or 10 credits of one language at the college level
- 5 credits in Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (QSR) coursework*
- 10 credits of writing-intensive coursework (not including the 5 credits of English composition required for admission)**
- 10 credits in Visual, Literary or Performing Arts (VLPA) coursework
- 10 credits of Individuals and Societies (I&S) coursework
- 10 credits of Natural World (NW) coursework
- 10 additional credits in any of the above areas of knowledge (VLPA, I&S, and NW)
* Students who first enrolled in college prior to Autumn 1985 are exempt from this requirement.
** Writing-intensive coursework may also count toward the Humanities, Social Science or Natural Science requirements.
Do you want to know when or how to apply? Do you want to check the status of an application you've already submitted to UW Tacoma? For answers to these questions and get more information about the program, contact: