Applying for admission to the Master of Social Work program is completed online by submitting one application to the University of Washington Graduate School as well as submission of required supplemental materials.
Make note of the application date for the program(s) in which you wish to apply. Visit UW Tacoma's Application Dates page for details on all graduate programs offered at the Tacoma campus. Remember, several items are required to complete your application, and items such as transcripts and letters of reference may take several weeks to obtain and submit. Please note, your application will not be reviewed for admission until all materials have been submitted online.
► 3-year MSW
March 1, 2017
(for Autumn 2017 admission)
► Advanced Standing MSW
June 30, 2017
(for Winter 2018 admission)
Step 1: Review UW Tacoma MSW admission and program requirements
Please review the following documents BEFORE starting your application:
- MSW admission requirements
- Application Instructions
- Essential Skills, Values and Standards of Professional Conduct for Admission to and Continuance in the School of Social Work
- NASW Code of Ethics
- MSW Application Tips
Step 2: Begin the UW Graduate School online application
Applying to the UW Graduate School is a part of the MSW application process. All applicants must complete the UW Graduate School application, which also requires the submission of required supplemental materials (see step 3). You may log in as often as you like to update your application. The UW Graduate School charges an application fee. Once you are finished with your application, you will be prompted to submit the application fee. After your application is submitted, you will not have access to make any further changes.
Be sure to select the appropriate program option in the online application*:
- 3-year MSW: Social Work - Tacoma Campus (Master of Social Work - Part Time Program)
- Advanced Standing MSW: Social Work - Tacoma Campus MSW (Advanced Standing)
*If you are planning to apply to the 3-year MSW program as well as the Advanced Standing MSW program you must submit two separate applications and corresponding fees to the UW Graduate School.
Step 3: UW Tacoma MSW required supplemental materials
NOTE: These materials are applicable for Autumn 2017 and Winter 2018 only.
Your complete application must contain the materials listed below.
Please be sure to keep copies of your application materials. All materials submitted become the property of the University of Washington Tacoma Social Work and Criminal Justice Program and we are unable to return any materials or provide copies.
- Application for Admission to UW Tacoma Master of Social Work Program form
- Admission essay
- Current résumé
- Social Service Experience form
- Three letters of reference (professional or academic)
- Conviction/Criminal History Information & Authorization for Repeat Background Checks and Dissemination of Results form
- Unofficial transcripts from each college or university attended*
*An official transcript showing degree(s) conferred will be required by the UW Graduate School if offered admission.