Total Certificate Cost (2023-24)
Textboooks not included (apprx $100 - $200)
- Option 1: pay for the entire program at registration
- Option 2: make up to 5 payments
*Includes 2.5% non-refundable registration fee
2023-24 Cohort Start Date: mid-August 2023
- Live, virtual classes meet weekday mornings, every two weeks.
- 4 in-person workshop days at UW Tacoma (Late August, January, April/May, late June)
- Additional online and project-based work required.
This program meets ONLINE, with select sessions at UW Tacoma
Creating thoughtful practitioners who can apply practical techniques to address public-sector challenges
We are proud to be the sole provider of the Certified Public Manager® in Washington state! The CPM® is a nationally-accredited, comprehensive leadership and management development program for professionals from all levels of government - city, county, state, and beyond. All Certified Public Manager® programs are built upon a set of key competencies but address them in unique and state-specific ways.
Key foundations of the Washington CPM® program include
- Context is Key - You are not just a manager, but a public sector manager. Find out what that really means.
- Cohort + Community - We believe in building learning communities, inside and outside of our program. The network of peers you build in our program is just as important as the content you ingest.
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt - Washington CPM® graduates earn an additional qualification, due to the long-standing focus on process improvement in Washington State.
If you've been thinking about a Master in Public Administration but need something more flexible, affordable and more quickly achieved, this might be the program for you!
Who is the CPM® For?
This intensive, 10-month program is designed for high-achieving, career-oriented public employees who want to connect their leadership journey to their work in the public sector.
Specifically, we are looking for participants who possess the below Candidate Qualities:
- Reflective: True leadership requires the ability to look deeply at your own experiences, values, abilities, and relationships.
- Self-Motivated and Self-Directed: The WA CPM® is a blended or hybrid program, which means not all of the learning happens in the classroom. Participants will need to be able to keep up with these independent portions of the program and complete major projects on time and to standard.
- Committed to Growth: Change, systems thinking, and a growth mindset are key to the CPM® program, so participants should have already demonstrated a commitment to their own growth and that of others. This can take the form of pursuing formal training, seeking out stretch assignments or opportunities, and/or encouraging others wo do the same.
- Passion for Public Service: The CPM® is a leadership and management program for those who want to grow their skills not just for their own sake, but so they can improve their organization(s) and better serve the public.
Explore the CPM®
Cohort, Context, Community
Our program is built on the idea that to lead and manage others, you need to first understand yourself and the context in which you work.
Click through to read descriptions of the modules, major projects, and how they relate to the CPM® Competencies.
Our blended program brings the flexibility of virtual class sessions without losing the vital connection between students.
Click to see dates and times for in-person and live, online class sessions.
Our program is guided by a group of dedicated public employees and leaders - some of whom hold a UWT CPM®!
CPMs on the CPM
Who better to express the value of the Certified Public Manager® than those who have earned it themselves?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Great question! First, there is nothing quite like our program in Washington State because the National CPM Consortium only allows one Certified Public Manager® program per state.
Compared with similar leadership and management programs offered within government organizations, we think that UW Tacoma stands out as the leader in high-quality instruction, curriculum and innovative design. When you complete your certificate here, the "UW" will follow you to your next job, holding value longer than any internal training program might. We use a practical, hands-on approach, and our curriculum is based upon local needs determined by an advisory board of experienced local city, county and state public managers.
Compared with a Master in Public Administration program, the Certified Public Manager® engages students on similar competencies but at a much lower cost. Our students also have the benefit of being able to take learnings back to their places of work and see change happen immediately.
We do not currently offer any scholarships for this program. However, many employers will pay for all or part of our program, which we are happy to facilitate! Please let us know if you need any documentation or language to help secure that.
Of course! Our program is designed specifically for working professionals. All class sessions do meet during weekdays, but are scheduled to reduce time away from work as much as possible. Asynchronous online and project work can be done whenever best fits your schedule, as long as you meet stated deadlines.
Our program is a proud member of the National Certified Public Manager® Consortium, the body that establishes and preserves standards for the Certified Public Manager® (CPM) designation, a nationally-accredited, comprehensive management development program specifically designed to prepare managers for careers in federal, state, local government and in other organizations with a public purpose.