About School of IAS Internships
An academic internship is one of the most rewarding things you can do while you are a UW Tacoma student. Internships develop your problem-solving skills, sense of responsibility, and initiative — traits valued by employers and graduate schools.
PLAN AHEAD: Plan your internship at least one quarter before you expect to complete it.
ACADEMIC CREDIT: In order to receive academic credit, your internship must be pre-approved. Most students who complete an internship as part of a degree requirement intern 15 hours per week for the 10 week quarter to earn 5 academic credits. Work with the SIAS Internship Coordinator, your faculty and internship supervisor to create the right schedule for you.
Need more information about internships? Email the SIAS Internship Coordinator; email@example.com
REGISTRATION TIMELINE: Your internship learning agreement must be submitted by the 10th day of the quarter to receive an entry code from the SIAS office. Please submit forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Find an Internship
- Search for posted Internships on Handshake
- Look for opportunities sent to your departmental listserv in your UW email
- Talk to your professors, faculty advisor and other contacts
- Utilize job search tools such as resume and cover letter assistance as well as interview practice offered by UWT's Career Development & Education office.
How to Register for Internship Credit
- Complete the Internship Learning Agreement through Handshake or PDF.
- Submit Internship Learning Agreement for approval from faculty advisor, internship supervisor and SIAS Internship Coordinator
- Receive entry code from SIAS Internship Coordinator
- Register for appropriate number of credits using SLN and entry code