A Literary Arts Journal for UW Tacoma
For more than 25 years, Tahoma West has published the poems, stories, essays, and visual art of UW Tacoma's students, alumni, faculty and staff. Each year, our student editorial staff evaluate creative submissions from the community and place their favorites in a paperback book released in Spring Quarter.
The journal was founded on principles of accessibility. We accept as broad a number of works as our printing budget allows. Staff do not see authors' names until submissions are picked, ensuring we pick our favorite submissions, not our favorite people. Finally, the entire process is designed to be a microcosm of the publication process; if you follow the submission guidelines carefully, you will better understand how to submit your work to a larger journal or book publisher, even if your submission is not accepted. (Remember: You can submit as much and as many times as you want!)
You are an artist. Yes, you. Show the world what you've got.
The deadline for Volume 27 of Tahoma West is 11:59 p.m. March 24, 2023. The book will be released in late May of Spring Quarter.
Send your work to email@example.com, making sure it adheres to our submission guidelines.
Learn About The Journal
News & Events
- Copies of Tahoma West Volume 26 are available free at the Center for Student Involvement in the University Y Student Center (1710 Market St., Tacoma, WA, 98403). Copies will become available at the Tahoma West office once the school year resumes.
- Tahoma West was founded in Fall Quarter 1996, as UW Tacoma's permanent campus opened for operation.
- Tahoma West shares an office with the campus newspaper, the Ledger. Both are housed in MAT 151.
- The journal is paid for by the student Services and Activities Fee, and is distributed at no additional charge.
- Copies are distributed from the Tahoma West office, the Center for Student Involvement, and various student events such as the quarterly Involvement Fairs.
- The first comic to appear in Tahoma West was "The Adventures of Detective Hopper," in Vol. 23, published in Spring 2019. Four separate comics were published in Vol. 25, two years later.