Required and Suggested Syllabi Service Statements

Main page content

On this page: Resources for Faculty | Required Syllabus Language | Suggested Statements for: Policies and Expectations; Getting Help 

For hard-copy syllabi, the recommended service statements are listed below.

For electronic syllabi, please visit the e-syllabus webpage.

There is no university requirement to include these syllabi statements. Please check with your academic unit about any requirements they may have for syllabi.

Resources for Faculty:

Required Syllabus Language

Policies and Expectations

  • Academic Calendar - Dates for course drop, withdrawal, and instruction.
  • Academic Honesty - Expectations, policies, and consequences.
  • Classroom Civility - All classes and activities on the UWT campus are about learning, which often involves the exchange of ideas. However, the tone and intention behind that exchange are important.  Civility, politeness, reasonableness, and willingness to listen to others are expected at all times – even when passions run high. Behaviors must support learning, understanding, and scholarship.
  • Student Conduct in Remote Learning Contexts  - The Student Conduct Code remains in place for all students whether a course is offered in person, online, or remotely. The instructor’s intellectual property rights and the privacy of all course participants must not be violated by students at UW Tacoma. Students may not share course materials with non-class members without explicit written permission from the course instructor. Harassment or bullying of instructors and students, including via electronic media, the internet, social networks, blogs, cell phones, and text messages, will not be tolerated. Students found responsible for such infractions are subject to disciplinary sanctions. Students may not record any part of a class session without the express consent of the instructor, unless approved as a disability accommodation. Individual course instructors may record course sessions but only for use by registered class members for instructional purposes. All recordings will be housed on secure platforms authorized by UW.

  • Campus Safety Information
  • Safe Campus - Preventing violence is a shared responsibility in which everyone at the UW plays apart. The SafeCampus website ( provides information on counseling and safety resources, University policies, and violence reporting requirements help us maintain a safe personal, work and learning environment. 
  • Emergencies, Safety, and Evacuation Routes 
  • Inclement Weather - Always check the UWT Home Page: Official campus closures or delays will be announced there first. Course Announcements and Email regarding assignments and expectations during a closure will follow once the severity of the situation is known.
    • "Call 253-383-INFO or check the UW Tacoma homepage to determine whether campus operations have been suspended or delayed. If not, but driving conditions remain problematic, call the professor's office number. This number should provide information on whether a particular class will be held or not, and/or the status of pending assignments. If the first two numbers have been contacted and the student is still unable to determine whether a class(es) will be held, or the student has a part-time instructor who does not have an office phone or contact number, call the program office number for updated information."
  • Email Policy - "UW Tacoma employees and students are issued a University of Washington NetID and email account. University email communications will only be sent to their University of Washington email address. Faculty and staff are not obligated to respond to students using non-UW email accounts. Those who choose to forward their emails to a non-UW email address do so at their own risk. The University is not responsible for any difficulties that may occur in the proper or timely transmission or access of email forwarded to any email address, and any such problems will not absolve employees and students of their responsibility to know and comply with the content of electronic university communications sent to UW email addresses." For the complete Policy Statement, follow the link in the heading title.
  • Electronic Devices - Electronic devices (including, but not limited to, cell phones, tablets and laptops) may only be used in the classroom with the permission of the instructor. Activities that are not relevant to the course, such as checking/ sending email, playing games and surfing the web, are considered disruptive activities when class is in session. Check with your school/program about their electronic devices policy, or to see if it's at the discretion of the instructor.
  • Infants/Children in Class Policy - Mothers who are breastfeeding an infant, or expressing milk, may do so in class without the permission of the instructor. Or if you prefer to breastfeed or breast-pump outside of class, you may take time out of class to use a lactation room (GWP 410). However, in either case, it is a good idea to communicate with the instructor ahead of time. If you want to bring an older infant or child(ren) to class, you must get permission from the instructor ahead of time. If permission is granted, you are responsible for seeing that the child or children are not disruptive to the class and for ensuring that all additional University policies and rules are followed by those that you bring. There are some classes where it may not be safe for an infant, child or children to be present, and in those cases an instructor may restrict an infant, child or children from being present in class. - Approved by the Executive Council on 2/17/17
  • Technology Requirements for Online Learning - “How to be a successful digital learner: To do well, your technology should be reliable and fast. Your hardware should be up-to-date. Your machine should be protected from viruses. You should use secure passwords and know the site and sender when being asked to download a file. These are your responsibilities, as your online instructor won't be able to help you with your own, unique technology problems.” For more information, follow the linked title.
  • Incomplete - An Incomplete is given only when the student has been in attendance and has done satisfactory work until within two weeks of the end of the quarter and has furnished proof satisfactory to the instructor that the work cannot be completed because of illness or other circumstances beyond the student's control. A written statement of the reason for the giving of the Incomplete, listing the work which the student will need to do to remove it, must be filed by the instructor with the head of the department or the dean of the college in which the course is given.

    Getting Help

    Academic Support

    Numerous campus resources are available to support your academic success. Know your options and seek help and resources when needed.

  • Disability Resources for Students - The University of Washington Tacoma is committed to making physical facilities and instructional programs accessible to students with disabilities. Disability Resources for Students (DRS), located in MAT 354, functions as the focal point for coordination of services for students with disabilities. If you have a physical, emotional, or mental disability that "substantially limits one or more major life activities [including walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning and working]," and will require accommodation in this class, please contact DRS at 253-692-4508, or email at for assistance. 
  • Library - Library Syllabus Statement For Inclusion in Faculty Syllabi The UW Tacoma Library provides services and tools to support students at all levels of expertise. You can:
Librarians help students become more confident about the research process, including developing paper topics, utilizing effective research strategies, and evaluating resources. Scheduled or drop-in help is available. Visit our website at or see us in person in the Snoqualmie (SNO) or Tioga Library Buildings (TLB)
  • Campus Study Spaces Webpage - The UWT Study Webpage is a central site for students to access information on all types of study spaces available on campus. The Webpage provides links to all reservable study spaces and to SCOUT, a tri-campus platform with information on a variety of non-reservable study spaces throughout campus.
  • Research Support - Get assistance starting a research project.
  • Subject Librarians - Make an appointment with a subject librarian to talk about library resources, research strategies, focusing a topic, evaluating information and more.
  • Teaching and Learning Center - The Teaching and Learning Center offers free academic support for students at all levels. We offer one-on-one consultations and group workshops in writing, math, statistics, science, and Spanish. We also work with students on questions about English grammar & vocabulary, reading, and learning strategies. We are located on the 2nd floor of the Snoqualmie building (Snoqualmie 260) and online. Our schedules for appointments and drop-in visits are posted on our website at For special needs or subject tutoring requests, please email or call 253-692-4417. Our services summarized:
    ·         Writing & Spanish supportwriting consultations, online tutoring, workshops & support
    ·         Quantitative skills support: peer tutoring available for math, science, statistics and more...
    ·         ESL Support - Help for students whose first language is not English
  • IT Essentials for Students (or Tech Essentials for Students) - Information Technology offers many resources to students to be successful on campus or in the virtual classroom. Learn about email, cloud storage, online tools, labs, equipment checkout, and more.

  • Online Support for Your Course Work - "Succeeding in an online course means being organized, self-reliant and aware of UW Tacoma's online support services. We're here to help you succeed, but it's up to you to "come to class" often, know the electronic resources available, and stay on course!"

    Self and Family Support

    Everyone needs a little help sometimes. Here are a few campus resources on campus to help you get through those challenging times. 

  • Bias Incident Reporting Website -  A resource for anyone who needs to report an incident of bias or wants to explore and better understand issues like bias and discrimination, and how to effectively respond.
  • Center for Equity & Inclusion - (WCG 104) - Resources and support for students regarding diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice issues.
  • Child Care Assistance - (MAT 103) - Parenting students are encouraged to take advantage of the resources provided on campus. These resources include the Huskies and Pups RSO, the Childcare Assistance Program, on-campus Family Friendly Spaces, priority access at the MUSE, and back-up/sick care at one of these locations Bright Horizons and KinderCare. On campus resources include lactation rooms and baby changing stations. For more detailed information, visit  or contact the Huskies and Pups RSO: .
  • Emergency Aid -Life can be unpredictable. Unexpected costs and needs can cause significant stress and impact student academic success and personal well being. That’s why the three campuses of the University of Washington have Emergency Aid to support currently enrolled UW students.
  • Student Success Mentoring Program - Connect with a faculty or staff mentor.
  • Military-Connected Student Statement - If you are a student who is a veteran, on active duty, in the reserves or national guard, or a military spouse or dependent, then stay in contact with your instructor if any aspect of your present or prior service or family situation makes it difficult for you to fulfill the requirements of a course or creates disruption in your academic progress.  It is important to make your instructor aware of any complication, then he/she will work with you and, if needed, put you in contact with university staff who are trained to assist you. Campus resource for veterans, service members, and families are located in the Veteran and Military Resource Center, TLB 307A.  The VMRC can be reached at uwtva@uw.ed, 253-692-4923
  • Counseling Center - The Counseling Center offers short-term, problem-focused counseling to UW Tacoma students who may feel overwhelmed by the responsibilities of college, work, family, and relationships. Counselors are available to help students cope with stresses and personal issues that may interfere with their ability to perform in school. The service is provided confidentially and without additional charge to currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students. To schedule an appointment, please call 253-692-4522, email, or stop by the Student Counseling Center (SCC), located in MAT 354. Additional information can also be found by visiting:
  • UWT Student Health Center - All UW Tacoma students who pay the Services and Activities Fee (SAF) now receive student health services at six Franciscan Prompt Care clinics: Bonney LakeBurienGig HarborLakewoodPuyallup, Tacoma. The “distributive care model” provides students more ways to access health care through six CHI Franciscan Health prompt care facilities throughout the Puget Sound, as well as access to Franciscan Virtual Urgent Care, at no additional cost. The Franciscan Prompt Care clinic located across the street from St. Joseph Medical Center, just up the hill from campus, is designated as the UW Tacoma clinic where students will receive priority treatment. The former Student Health Services clinic located in Laborer’s Hall on Market Street has closed. These changes do no affect which students can utilize Student Health Services. All current SAF-paying UW Tacoma students have access to Student Health Services, even those who have health insurance.  All appointments are now scheduled by calling 253.428.2200. 
  • Military-Connected Student Statement - If you are a student who is a veteran, on active duty, in the reserves or national guard, or a military spouse or dependent, then stay in contact with your instructor if any aspect of your present or prior service or family situation makes it difficult for you to fulfill the requirements of a course or creates disruption in your academic progress.  It is important to make your instructor aware of any complication, then he/she will work with you and, if needed, put you in contact with university staff who are trained to assist you. Campus resource for veterans, service members and families are located in the Veteran and Military Resource Center, TLB 307A.  The VMRC can be reached at uwtva@uw.ed, 253-692-4923
  • The Pantry - Providing supplemental, nutritional, and culturally relevant food as well as hygiene items to all UWT students and their families. Stop by during weekly drop-in hours (DOUGAN 104) Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm or complete the online Food Request Form at
  • Oasis center - Oasis transforms the lives of queer youth by creating a safe place to learn, connect, and thrive. Oasis envisions a world in which queer youth are valued in the community as strong, creative leaders.Oasis is the only drop-in and support center dedicated to the needs of LGBTQ youth ages 14-24 in Pierce County. We are a youth-adult partnership in which youth and adults come together for shared teaching learning and action! Office Phone: 253-671-2838. Emergency Cell Phone: (253) 988-2108 
  • Short-Term Loan Program - The Office of Student Financial Aid has funds available for short-term loans to assist students with temporary cash flow problems. Funds are generally available within one to four working days, only to students who are currently attending the university (loans cannot be processed between quarters). Repayment is due by the next quarter, or whenever additional funds such as financial aid arrive on account, whichever comes first. There is no interest on the short-term loans but there is a service charge added to the repayment amount. Students may apply online through MyUW under "Personal Services." Paper application forms are also available in the Financial Aid Office, but the processing time is longer. Learn more about short-term loans

  • Student Advocacy and Support  - The Office of Student Advocacy and Support provides referral and support services to students.  The purpose of this office is to assist student in developing strategies to overcome and address barriers that prevent them from achieving their educational goals.  The student and staff work together to establish a set of goals and action steps to address barriers in the student’s life. We help students navigate on and off campus resources that can address issues such as housing insecurity, food, safety and security, relationship issues, physical and mental health care and financial hardships. You may set up an appointment by filling out a referral form: , sending an email, calling 205-692-5934, or stop by our office MAT 203.