Please note, this only applies to international visiting appointments. For more information, please visit the International Scholars page for titles and requirements.
Important Reminder: students are not sponsored through the International Scholars program. Students should instead apply to the VISIT/VISER program.
Documents Needed to Process Visiting Appointments
- Activity/Research Proposal
- Complete part #1 of the J-1 Visa Intake Form
- Provide funding information and documentation
- please visit the ISC's page for more information regarding types of funding accepted by the university
- J1 Culture Exchange Requirement - written proof to be provided by sponsoring faculty member
- *Mailing address - include a mailing address of where you want your DS-2019 form to be mailed to and also a phone number where you can be reached at for delivery.
- English Language Proficiency Documentation - The Department of State (DOS) has issued revised J exchange visitor regulations, which includes a new requirement to document one of the following objective measurements of English language proficiency for incoming J-1 Exchange Visitors:
- A recognized English language test
- Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school
- A documented interview conducted by the sponsor either in-person or by video conferencing, or by telephone if video conferencing is not a viable option.
- See the Federal Register final version of the new rule (22 CFR § 62.10 (a)(2)) for more information. Each sponsoring unit must retain evidence of proficiency (using one or more of the above measures) along with the documentation of funding, to be made available in the event of an audit.
- Health Insurance Requirement - You and your J-2 dependents are required by U.S .Federal law to have sickness and accident insurance, including coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains, in effect for the duration of your exchange visitor program. A willful failure to carry insurance is an extremely serious violation of law and will result in immediate termination of your J-1 status. For more information, please visit the J1 Insurance Requirements resource page.
Visiting Professor, Visiting Associate Professor, Visiting Assistant Professor, Visiting Lecturer, and Visiting Scientist Appointments must also include:
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
Send the completed package with the items above, along with your Visa Intake Form directly to the Academic Administrator, Zaide Chavez: email@example.com
- Using the Intake Form from the visitor, enter the information into the UW J1 Request Form
- *Remember to ask for arrival and departure date, as it is not included on the Intake Form
- When you get the confirmation from ISO and have completed the package, the appointment letter can be emailed/mailed to the visitor
- The signed appointment letter needs to be returned to the Academic Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Send the completed package to UW Tacoma Academic HR to receive the Chancellor or Vice Chancellor's signature - Box 358430
- Once this is signed, the package is returned to Zaide Chavez
- These appointments are non-salary appointments and need a NetID and employee number to access the UW Tacoma network and have an official appointment
- Package is then sent to the International Scholars Office in Seattle
International Scholar Operations
239 Gerberding Hall
- Complete DS-2019 Form - When the DS-2019 form arrives in our department from ISO, it is mailed via UPS to the visitor at the address provided. If for any reason the arrival date changes, let ISO know at email@example.com and a new DS-2019 will be generated.
Before the visitor arrives, complete the New Employee Checklist to get keys, NetID, etc.
*Remind scholar that they need to check in with UW Tacoma International Services
Once you arrive:
Please visit the International Scholars Operations site for important information on what you need to do once you arrive.
Please note that the department will need you to make a copy of your completed DS-2019 form with all the appropriate signatures, and your signed Legal Insurance Requirements form. Please make an appointment with the Academic Administrator to help you get started, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty sponsoring a J1 Visiting Scholar, please review and comply with the J1 Culture Exchange Requirement page for more information.
Additional Resources for Visiting Scholars
SET Academic Administrator - Zaide Chavez
Office: Cherry Parkes 133 D