Jump to: RAC Function | Membership | Meetings
Research Advisory Committee (RAC) is an ad-hoc subcommittee of UW Tacoma Faculty Assembly. Its main responsibility is to ensure faculty have a direct role in shared governance related to issues pertaining to research and scholarship.
Specifically, RAC will:
- Advocate for the integral role of research and scholarship in UW Tacoma’s identity
- Assist university leadership, especially Associate Vice Chancellor for Research, in developing and updating research policies
- Provide feedback to university leadership on research support infrastructure.
- Facilitate conversations that help to articulate UW Tacoma’s mission for research and scholarship
- Facilitate the application and review process of UW Tacoma’s Distinguished Research Award
- Submit an annual report to the chair of Faculty Assembly, prepare reports on research related issues requested by the Faculty Assembly Executive Council (EC) and answer questions at EC on the state of research and scholarship at UW Tacoma
- Review and provide feedback on the Office of Research’s annual budget including making recommendations if there are gaps.
- Work with research supporting units on campus.
RAC will have five members among full-time UW Tacoma faculty appointed by Executive Council. Associate Vice Chancellor for Research will be an ex-officio member of the committee. The term of service is two years. In the inaugural year of this committee, two of five members will be appointed by Executive Council for one year.
- James Gawel, (Chair, 2019-20), Associate Professor, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences
- Ka Yee Yeung, Professor, School of Engineering & Technology
- Eric Madfis, Associate Professor, School of Social Work & Criminal Justice
- Belinda Louie, Professor, School of Education
- Huatong Sun, Associate Professor, School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences
RAC will meet at least twice every quarter during the regular academic year. Meeting agendas and minutes will be published on this website.