Minor in Sustainable Urban Development

Main page content

The Sustainable Urban Development (SUD) minor provides an opportunity for students pursuing other majors to complement their learning with concepts and principles valuable in the largely urban world in which they live and vote.  These principles include the necessity to consider social justice, environmental, end economic outcomes as parts of the sustainability matrix; the tensions, complementarities, and tradeoffs among these dimensions; and the role that urban/suburban growth and form play in furthering this multi-dimensional concept of sustainability.  This background should be attractive and useful for students from many majors, including social sciences, natural sciences, engineering, and the professional fields. 


  • The Sustainable Urban Development minor requires the completion of 31 credits (listed below).
  • All of the courses in the minor must be completed in residence at UW Tacoma.
  • No more than 50% (15 credits) can overlap with another major.
  • Sustainable Urban Development (SUD) majors cannot earn this minor.
  • Courses in the minor may also count, as appropriate, toward foreign language, Q/SR, writing, and Areas of Knowledge requirements, without restriction.
  • Students must satisfactorily complete all coursework in the SUD minor by achieving a minimum 2.0 grade point average in each required course. lf a grade below 2.0 is received, the student may repeat the course. Course credit will only be awarded once, and both grades will be computed into the grade point average.


  • T URB 103 Urban Studies in Practice (1-2, max. 3); 1 credit required for the minor.
  • T SUD 222, Introduction to Sustainability (5)
  • T SUD 240, City and Nature (5)
  • T SUD 444, Green Internationalism (5)
  • T SUD 445 Urban Ecology (5)
  • T SUD 475, Community and Economy (5)
  • 5 credits of any other T URB or T SUD course

Total Credits:  31

Declaring a Minor

Complete the Request to Declare/Change Major form and submit it to the Urban Studies Program office (PNK 300)

Graduating with a Minor

When applying for graduation, your academic adviser will list the minor requirements on your graduation application. Upon graduation, the minor will be indicated on your transcript, but it will not appear on your diploma.