Minor in Urban Studies

Main page content

The Urban Studies minor offers courses that provide history and approaches to solving urban issues and problems.

Requirements for the Minor 

  • The Urban Studies minor requires the completion of 29-31 credits.
  • All of the courses in the minor must be completed in residence at UW Tacoma.
  • No more than 50% can overlap with another major. 
  • Urban Studies majors cannot earn this minor. 
  • Courses in the minor may also count, as appropriate, toward foreign language, Q/SR, writing, and Areas of Knowledge requirements, without restriction.
  • Students must satisfactorily complete all core & core elective coursework in the Urban Studies minor by achieving a minimum 2.0 grade point average in each required course.  lf a grade below 2.0 is received,
    the student may repeat the course. Course credit will only be awarded once, and both grades will be computed into the grade point average.

The Urban Studies minor requires 29-31credits, with at least 10 credits required to be upper division.

  • T URB 101 Exploring Cities (5)
  • T URB 102 City in World Development (5)
  • T URB 103 Urban Studies in Practice (1-2, max. 3); 1 credit required for the minor.
  • One upper division course (300 or higher level course) from each of the two tracks:
  1. Global Urbanism (select one course from this list):
    T URB 305 Data and the City (3)
    T URB 430 Pacific Rim Cities (5)
    T SUD 444 Green Internationalism (5)
  2. Community Development and Planning (select one course from this list)
    T URB 312 Race/Poverty in Urban America (5) 
    T URB 340 Urban Social Change (5)
    T URB 480 Housing in the United States (5)
    T SUD 475 Community and Economy (5)
  • 10 credits of any other T URB or T SUD course

Declaring a Minor

Complete the Request to Declare/Change Major form and submit it to the Urban Studies Program office (PNK 300)

Graduating with a Minor

When applying for graduation, your academic adviser will list the minor requirements on your graduation application. Upon graduation, the minor will be indicated on your transcript, but it will not appear on your diploma.