Check in begins at 8:00 a.m.
All Graduates will enter through Exhibition Hall. Check-in will begin at 8:00 a.m.
Graduates are encouraged not to bring large bags, purses, etc., as there is no secure location to store your items.
The Grad Pass is now available in your Marching Order account.
- Have your Grad Pass available on your mobile device (recommended) Consider saving it a picture for easy access and make sure your mobile device is charged. OR print a copy in advance.
All Guests will be entering through all other designated doors. Doors will be open at 8:30 a.m.
Graduates and guests should plan to park either around UW Tacoma campus and take the Tacoma Light Rail, or around the Tacoma Dome.
Parking at the Tacoma Dome begins at $15
The University of Washington is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, and activities. Guest accommodation requests should be made by your graduate as they request tickets via Marching Order.
Entrance for guests with accommodation seating is yet to be determined.
Entrance tickets are required for all guests. Children under the age of 2 do not require a ticket.
Only service animals are permitted.
Nursing & Changing Stations:
Private space is available at events for nursing mothers. The nursing mother's room is located on the west end floor level, behind Sections 109-113. Guests should contact their nearest guest services employee with any questions.
Wheelchairs and strollers:
More information will be available regarding wheelchair availability and strollers in the near future.
Outside food and drink are not permitted.
Visit the Tacoma Dome website for additional information.
Photographs will be taken as each graduate approaches the stage and as they cross the stage by GradImages.
After Commencement, GradImages will send an email to your UW email account with a customer number and a link to view your photograph proofs online. There is no obligation to purchase.
Questions about commencement photographs may be submitted online or by calling 1-800-261-2576.
Save 20% off your photos
Pre-register and receive a coupon for 20% off your entire order.
Register online: www.gradimages.com/preregistration
All guests are subject to bag searches and may also be subject to metal detector screening upon entry to the Tacoma Dome.
Graduates will be inspected before admittance to the Exhibition Hall.
In the interest of guest safety and enjoyment, the Tacoma Dome reserves the right to prevent certain items from being brought into the facility. Items including, but not limited to, the following are not allowed in the Tacoma Dome:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia
- Bags that don't adhere to our Bag Policy
- Outside food & beverage items
- Glass or aluminum bottles or cans
- Ice chests or hard-sided coolers
- Camera tri-pods, mono-pods, GoPro poles, gimbals, and selfie sticks
- Laptop computers, tablets, and iPads
- Remotely controlled, small unmanned aircraft systems (a.k.a. drones)
- Sticks or clubs (including signs attached to sticks)
- Mace or pepper spray
- Bullhorns, airhorns or other noisemakers
- Animals, comfort animals, or pets (service animals are allowed)
- Beach balls or other inflatables
- Bicycles or scooters
- Skateboards or roller blades
- Squirt guns or super soakers
- Balloons of any kind
- Laser pointers
- Weapons of any kind, regardless of permit (including but not limited to: firearms, knives, batons, mace, pepper spray, brass knuckles, tasers, etc.)
- Studded belts, bracelets, etc.
- Chairs (lawn chairs, folding chairs)
- Baby formula, baby bottles and baby food
- Medication or other special needs
- Seat cushions
You will be denied entry if you bring any of these items to the Washington State Fair Events Center.
The following are not allowed:
- Disruptive behavior or unlawful acts
- Solicitation, distribution, or selling of products
- Scalping or re-sale of tickets
Students can log back in via Marching Order and manage their tickets.
Two options to distribute your tickets:
Option 1: Send the tickets to your guest via email.
Option 2: Print and hand them to your guest
Please remember that each Guest Tickets have a unique QR code and should not be duplicated for multiple entry.
Ceremony Conduct Agreement
Commencement is intended to be a festive occasion celebrating the accomplishments of our students. However, it is also ceremonial. Graduates are expected to abide by the following guidelines:
Please set your cell phone to “silent” or “vibrate” mode. Cell phones are permitted, but out of consideration for other participants, students are asked to make judicious use of phones and not use them during the formal speaking portions of the ceremony.
Out of consideration for other members of the audience, it is requested that those who wish to take photographs of portions of the ceremony remain in their seats and refrain from interfering with the view of others. Guests are not permitted on the main floor.
Photographs will be taken as each graduate approaches the stage and as they cross the stage by Chappell Graduation Images.
We ask that you stay home if you are not feeling well or if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19.
The University of Washington Tacoma is following the health guidance of the State of Washington and Pierce County for COVID protocols at this year’s Commencement. As of March 1, 2022, vaccine verification or proof of a negative COVID-19 test are not required by Washington State mandate to attend large events.
Wearing a mask is not required, but strongly recommended. Requirements may change, so please check our Public Health Guidance webpage or the Commencement website for up-to-date information.
The University asks graduates and their guests to be mindful of the following COVID-19 prevention practices:
- Get vaccinated. Getting fully vaccinated, boosters and staying up to date on vaccines remains the leading COVID-19 prevention strategy. All attendees are highly encouraged to be vaccinated.
- Stay home if sick. Monitor your health. If you have been instructed to isolate or quarantine, or you have COVID-19 symptom(s) (regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status), you must stay home.
- Testing before attending the event is recommended. Many people will be coming together from many different communities and in large groups. Testing before gathering with others can help prevent spreading COVID-19.
- Practice good hand hygiene. Wash or sanitize your hands at key times. Handwashing facilities and sanitizing stations will be located throughout the Fairgrounds.
- Face coverings are recommended. Bring a face covering in case you need or want one. Limited supplies of face coverings will be available at centralized locations at the event.
- Face coverings are strongly recommended indoors, especially for those who are higher risk for severe illness or those who have high risk household members. Face coverings are also recommended for these individuals in outdoor crowded settings.
- Follow posted building signage regarding face covering use.
- Respect the personal space of others. Distance based on your comfort level and respect the physical distance others wish to maintain.
- Virtual viewing options are available for those who are unable to attend the event in-person.
Be considerate of your fellow graduates, faculty and staff administrators, and guest. Graduates are required to be in their seats for the duration of the ceremony. Students are expected to return to their seats after the Presentation of Degree Candidates and Conferring of Degrees and remain seated until the closing ceremonial music and the members of the stage party has exited.
The procession begins at 9:30 a.m. Marshals will direct you during the procession but there will also be guides and markings to follow.
Make sure your mobile devices are charged as you will need access to your Grad Pass. You may also obtain a printed copy of your Grad Pass during check-in.
Conclusion of the Ceremony
When all the graduates have walked, closing remark has been delivered, and the closing ceremonial music has concluded, we encourage that all graduates meet their family outside on the Tacoma Dome plaza.
Commencement Layout and Parking Map
If you would like to download a PDF copy of the parking map and commencement layout, use the link below.
Celebrate your Graduate!
The Commencement Group
Celebrate your grad with a Class T-shirt, Bouquet or Lei. Pick-up at the Tacoma Dome on Commencement day.
Pre-orders are highly recommended!
Connect with us
If you have any additional Commencement questions or concerns, please contact us at:
Can't find what you're looking for? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page.