Skip to main content

Medical or Academic Difficulty Reduced Course Load (RCL) Authorization

F-1 students must enroll full-time during autumn, winter and spring quarter in order to maintain their non-immigrant status. Full-time credit load is 12 credits for undergraduate and 10 credits for graduate students. However, in certain medical or academic difficulty situations, students may apply to drop below full-time course load. Please fill out this form to request a Medical or Academic Diffuculty Reduced Course Load (RCL) Authorization.

Please note that if you have any holds on your student account, we may not be able to assist you until all holds are removed.

We will be in touch with you by sending emails to your UW Tacoma email account. 



Before requesting a Reduced Course Load Authorization, please read these important reminders below:

  • You may lose eligibility for financial aid/grant/scholarship if you are not a full-time student. Please check with your sponsor if you have any of these awards.
  • Do NOT drop below full-time without receiving prior RCL authorization from ISS. This will result in termination of your SEVIS record.
  • Academic difficulty RCL can only be approved once per academic level.
Number listed on the top left corner of your I-20, e.g. N0000012345
(Street Number and Name) (Apt. Number) (Town or City) (State) (Zip Code)
Which of the following reason apply to you in order to request RCL?

Supporting Evidence Requirment

Supporting Evidence Requirment

In order for your request to be approved, you will need to provide proof as specified below.

For Illness or Medical Condition

Provide a statement from a licensed medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or licensed clinical psychologist to substantiate the illness or medical condition. The statement can be in the form of a letter using office letterhead or in the form of an email with a signature. The letter does not need to be an original. It can be scanned and emailed to

For Academic Difficulty

Provide statement(s) of support from professor(s) or an academic advisor regarding your situation in class(es) that you wish to withdraw from. The statement can be in the form of an email sent to from a UWT email account.