Skip to main content

Request to Add a New Program on I-17

Main Content

UW Tacoma has been certified to issue Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status” since 2002. Using I-20, international students apply for F-1 student visa/status at U.S. Embassies/Consulates abroad or with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  

The UW Tacoma Office of Global Affairs maintains Form I-17, “Petition for Approval of School for Attendance by a Nonimmigrant Student” with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The I-17 lists school information such as university contacts, accreditations, academic calendar, cost of attendance and demographics info. The I-17 must always be up to date and re-certification is due every other year.  

One of the most important sections of the I-17 is the Program of Study section. This section lists degrees available at UW Tacoma, course (program) of study, and the time necessary to complete the degree (program length).

The current I-17 listing is available to view at this link (request for a permission to view using UW Net ID).  I-17_Section 2_Program of Study.xlsx

If your unit is starting a new program that is currently NOT listed on the I-17, it is crucial for the unit leader to submit this form as soon as the Board of Regents approval to offer the new program is granted.

Please beware that the new program must be adjudicated by DHS before OGA can issue an I-20 for international students to participate in the program. The process is lengthy and usually takes close to a year.  

For questions, email:

Note: F-1 students are only permitted to count one 100% online course toward meeting their full-time enrollment requirement. 10 credits or above is full time for graduate students and 12 credits or above is full time for undergraduate students. 
Will any part of the program taught outside of the UW Tacoma campus?
One file only.
15 MB limit.
Allowed types: pdf, doc, docx.