One of the common pieces missing in pre-health applications is the experience of shadowing. In order to “test-drive” future career options, applicants should shadow physicians in the United States whose practice most closely resembles the applicant’s potential career goals.You should try to shadow physicians in the field you are interested in. Your experience should be consistent with your goal. If you are unsure about what direction you want to go in, we recommend shadowing a diverse range of physicians or professionals if you are able to.
- Find out what the career is all about
- Clarify and validate initial impressions
- Understand the realities/limitations of medicine
- Test level of commitment
- Discover likes and dislikes
- Enhance motivation
- Improve the articulation of goals