Transfer students who hold more than 40 transferable college credits at the time of application, meeting these criteria will qualify for review:
Minimum requirements for consideration:
- Hold a minimum 2.0 transferable college GPA
- Submit all official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency, in some cases. Please review link for more information.
To be considered a more competitive applicant:
- Adhere to the above requirements
- Apply by posted deadlines
- Present a transferable GPA that is greater than the minimum. A 2.5 is considered more competitive. A 2.75 may qualify you for assured admission.
Additional requirements if you have earned fewer than 40 transferable academic college credits after leaving high school (except in the case where the college credits were all earned the summer immediately after high school):
- Fulfill the College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs)
- Submit your high school transcript
- Submit your SAT/ACT test scores (optional)
- Complete the UW Tacoma Transfer Application*
- Pay the $60 application fee ($75 for international applicants) when you submit your application
- Write your personal statement
- Submit standardized test scores (optional)
- Submit your transcripts
*A complete application includes all supplemental materials, essays and transcripts.
Application deadlines for transfer admission vary by degree program. You are encouraged to turn in your application as early as possible to ensure that you receive priority consideration. Applications received after the application deadline will be considered on a space-available basis. Review important dates for transfer students.
- November 15: Winter quarter general admission deadline
- February 15: Spring quarter general admission deadline
- March 15: Autumn quarter general admission deadline
- March 15: Priority scholarship deadline
Major, pre-major, or undeclared?
Transfer applicants can apply to be admitted directly to a major, or can apply as a pre-major or an undeclared student. Read more about transfer admission options.
Admission to a degree program
If you have met the minimum number of credits and fulfilled the prerequisites, you can apply to a degree program at the same time you apply for admission. If you are admitted to the university and have indicated you wish to apply for an academic program, your application will be forwarded to the requested academic program for review.
If you have completed 75 or more credits already, you are strongly encouraged to do this.
- March 15 Priority application date & priority scholarship deadline
- July 31 Final application deadline
- October 15 Priority application date
- November 15, Final application deadline
- January 15 Priority application date
- February 15, Final application deadline
If an application deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the effective deadline is the next business day. All materials must be received by the application deadline.