DACA Students/HB 1079

Main page content

The Office of Admissions is operating remotely Monday-Friday 8 AM to 5 PM. Please connect with us, below, via live chat. We are also happy to assist via email at uwtinfo@uw.edu. Please feel free to request a one-on-one advising appointment.

Don’t forget to sign up for one of our webinars. We can’t wait to meet you.

UW Tacoma welcomes undocumented students. We are committed to supporting undocumented students through the application process and to accessing the resources available to help you pursue higher education.

There is no federal or state law that prohibits undocumented students admission to public or private universities in the state of Washington. In fact, Washington state provides a number of programs that help undocumented students succeed in their educational pursuits. If you have any questions or need assistance with the application process, please contact the Admissions office.

I am undocumented, can I apply to UW Tacoma?

Yes, prospective students can apply to UW Tacoma regardless of their immigration status. There is no federal or state law that prohibits undocumented students’ admission to public or private universities in the state of Washington. All prospective students will be reviewed under the same admissions criteria regardless of immigration status.

What is HB 1079?

House Bill (HB) 1079 allows eligible undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at state colleges and university starting July 1, 2003. Under Washington state law, students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents may qualify for in-state tuition if they meet certain guidelines.

Am I eligible for HB 1079?

Students may qualify to pay in-state tuition rates if they meet all of the following three criteria:

  • Received a diploma from a Washington high school or the equivalent of a diploma in Washington state.
  • Lived in Washington for at least three calendar years prior to receiving their diploma or its equivalent.
  • Continuously resided in Washington since receiving the high school diploma or its equivalent

What is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)?

If you are considering applying for DACA, please review the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project's DREAMer Resources advisory or Tacoma Community House, which includes information on how to apply for and renew DACA. If you are thinking about applying for DACA, make sure to get all the right information you need before you submit your application to U.S. Citizenship Immigration Services.

DACA is a program under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that temporarily suspends the deportation of some unauthorized individuals. DACA was announced on June 15, 2012. Students who are granted DACA can be employed legally in the U.S. for up to two years (if they demonstrate "an economic necessity for employment"). If you've received a work authorization permit through DACA you'll also receive a Social Security Number.

Learn more at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

How do I apply if I have undocumented status?

  • Complete the UW Tacoma application for freshman or transfer admission, not the international student application.
  • Enter 111-11-1111 when asked to enter a social security number (if you are granted DACA status, enter in the Social Security Number you received).
  • List the U.S. as your country of permanent residence.
  • When asked about your current or expected visa or immigration status, check the “other” box if you are applying under this status.
  • Submit the Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit to the Office of the Registrar at the time of application. The affidavit is a confidential statement verifying that the student qualifies to pay resident tuition and that they will seek legal permanent residency of the United States when eligible to apply.

Are undocumented students eligible to receive financial aid?

Undocumented students who meet the individual program, income or residency requirements for the State Need Grant, the College Bound Scholarship, State Work Study, or Passport Scholarship students should complete the free WASFA (Washington Application for Financial Aid) to apply for state financial aid. Note that this is only for eligible Washington state residents.

Financial Aid Resources for Undocumented Students:


Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA)