Our Direct Admission program provides an opportunity for high-achieving business-minded high school seniors to be admitted directly from high school into the Milgard School of Business at the University of Washington Tacoma. See below for full details about this exciting and exclusive program. We look forward to welcoming our future business and nonprofit leaders to the Milgard School of Business!
Milgard Direct Admits will:
- Have a guaranteed spot in the Milgard School of Business at UW Tacoma, one of the most highly-sought academic programs on campus
- Earn a UW business degree – a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration (BABA), selecting one of five options to tailor your degree to your interests and goals:
- General Business
Qualify for Direct Admission scholarships
Recent Milgard Direct Admit scholarship awards have ranged from $1,500 to $6,000.
Engage with Milgard faculty and local business executives through special events and workshops exclusively for business majors
- Receive personalized, one-on-one support and guidance from Milgard School of Business Academic Advisors
- Utilize the career and internship resources of the Milgard Success Center
- Be part of a close-knit cohort of fellow business-minded students all starting out together at UW Tacoma as Milgard Direct Admits
- Connect and grow with your cohort in a 2 credit autumn quarter Leadership Seminar focused on communication, teamwork and ethics in various leadership projects and activities
- And much more!
Attend an Info Session
Learn more about Direct Admit and the many benefits. Attend a LIVE info session and get your questions answered!
How to Apply
High school seniors can be automatically considered for Direct Admission to Milgard by:
- Submitting the freshman application to UW Tacoma by the January 15 priority date AND
- Selecting one of the Business options as your first-choice major on your UW Tacoma freshman application
Learn more about freshman admission to UW Tacoma here.
Admission is competitive, and space is limited. Milgard Direct Admission offer letters will be sent out January - April.
Direct Admission is designed for true freshmen. Running Start students who have completed our lower division business prerequisites through their community college should apply to Milgard through our standard admission pathway.
Freshman applicants not offered Direct Admission to Milgard will enter the university in a pre-major status, and can apply to Milgard through our standard admission pathway when eligible.
Lower-Division Business Courses
During the first two years at UW Tacoma, students work on completing general education requirements as well as lower-division business courses.
- TBGEN 111: Leadership Seminar
- TACCT 210: Financial Accounting I
- TACCT 220: Financial Accounting II
- TACCT 230: Managerial Accounting
- TMATH 110: Introductory Statistics with Applications
- TBGEN 218: Business Law
- TBECON 220 or TECON 200: Introduction to Microeconomics
- TBECON 221 or TECON 201: Introduction to Macroeconomics
- English Composition
Upper-Division Business Courses
Milgard Direct Admission students must meet the following requirements before declaring a formal option in business:
- A cumulative GPA of at least a 2.75 in all college coursework.
- A cumulative GPA of at least a 2.75 in business prerequisites: accounting, business law, economics, and statistics.
- Business prerequisites and English Composition may not be taken P/F or S/NS. The minimum acceptable grade in these prerequisites is 2.0.
All business students have to complete:
- 35 credits of upper-division business core courses
- 30-35 credits upper-division business courses
- 180 credits (minimum) to graduate with a BABA degree.
- A 1.7 minimum grade in all upper-division business coursework.
- A 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA in all upper-division business courses.