With the relocation of the Global Innovation and Design Lab to Milgard Hall, the ground floor of Tacoma Paper & Stationery (TPS) is an underutilized space with potential to be a central casual gathering space for students, faculty and staff.
The University is partnering with McGranahan Architects to reimagine and reactivate this space to improve the overall campus experience and encourage engagement and community building.
We believe community input is valuable and want to hear from you! Use the button below to provide comments, concerns or suggestions for the Reimagining TPS Ground project.
How you can get involved
There are several opportunities for students, faculty and staff to provide input and influence the design of this new space.
- Complete the online survey
- Stop by an in-person poster session on the TPS ground floor
- Tuesday, April 25 from 11 am - 1 pm
- Wednesday, April 26 from 4 - 6:30 pm
- Posters will also be available for viewing in TPS-G, WCG atrium and the Dawg House lounge after these sessions.
- Use the webform to provide general feedback
All feedback must be received by Friday, May 19.
- Transform TPS Ground Floor into a vibrant, central hub for dining and gathering — a campus "living room" — incorporating furniture solutions that create spaces catering to different needs while allowing maximum seating and flexibility.
- Provide a new home for the Convenience Store (currently located in West Coast Grocery) in the former GID Lab space. This space will allow the store to nearly double in size, allowing a more comprehensive selection of grab-and-go food and beverage offerings. The modern, super energy-efficient infrastructure of the TPS building will also mean significant annual energy savings from store operations.
- Create a space for students to hang out during the day and into the evenings in a safe, accessible environment.
- Allow a multi-functional space that can adapt to a variety of uses.
These drawings are conceptual and meant to convey design intent only. They do not represent a final design.
Frequently Asked Questions
We are currently in the planning and design phase and looking for campus input and engagement. It is expected that construction will start in Autumn quarter 2023.
We expect the new spaces will be activated for campus use in Winter quarter 2024.
The current Convenience Store space in WCG is under planning considerations for addressing other campus needs.
For more information on the Reimagining TPS Ground project, contact Elizabeth Hyun, Project Manager.