Our Direct Admission program is an opportunity for stellar freshman and Running Start applicants to be admitted directly from high school into the Milgard School of Business at the University of Washington Tacoma. We look forward to welcoming our future business and nonprofit leaders!
Milgard Direct Admits will:
- Have a guaranteed spot in the Milgard School of Business at UW Tacoma, one of the most highly-sought academic programs on campus
- Earn your UW degree in Business Administration, selecting one of five options to tailor your degree to your interests and goals:
Qualify for Direct Admission scholarships
The 2019 Direct Admits received scholarship awards ranging from $1,500 to $3,000.
Engage with Milgard faculty and local business executives through special events exclusively for business students
In 2018, our Direct Admits met with executives from Starbucks, MultiCare, Habitat for Humanity and more!
- Receive personalized, one-on-one support and guidance from Milgard School of Business advisors
- Utilize the career and internship resources of the Milgard Success Center
- Be part of a close-knit cohort of fellow business-minded students all starting out together at UW Tacoma as Milgard Direct Admits
- Connect and grow with your cohort in a 2 credit autumn quarter Leadership Seminar focused on communication, teamwork and ethics in various leadership projects and activities
- And much more!
How to Apply
By selecting a Business option as your first-choice major on your UW Tacoma application, you will automatically be considered for Direct Admission. Learn more about freshman admission to UW Tacoma. The priority application date is January 15.APPLY NOW
Admission is competitive, and space is limited. If you aren’t admitted as a freshmen, you can apply to Milgard at the end of your sophomore year. This will give you time to take the prerequisite classes that are required for admission as a junior.
Academic Performance and Prerequisites
Lower-Division Business Courses
During the first two years at UW Tacoma, students work on completing general education requirements as well as lower-division business courses.
- TBGEN 111: Leadership Seminar
- TACCT 210: Financial Accounting I
- TACCT 220: Financial Accounting II
- TACCT 230: Managerial Accounting
- TBGEN 200: Introduction to Statistics in Business or TMATH 110: Introductory Statistics with Applications
- TBGEN 218: Business Law
- TBECON 220 or TECON 200: Introduction to Microeconomics
- TBECON 221 or TECON 201: Introduction to Macroeconomics
- English Composition
Upper-Division Business Courses
Milgard Direct Admission students must meet the following requirements before declaring a formal option in business:
- A cumulative GPA of at least a 2.75 in all college coursework.
- A cumulative GPA of at least a 2.75 in business prerequisites: accounting, business law, economics, and statistics.
- Business prerequisites and English Composition may not be taken P/F or S/NS. The minimum acceptable grade in these prerequisites is 2.0.
- Accounting students must earn a minimum 2.5 grade in all accounting prerequisites and a cumulative 3.0 average across accounting prerequisite courses.
All business students have to complete:
- 35 credits of upper-division business core courses
- 30-35 credits upper-division business courses
- 180 credits (minimum) to graduate with a BABA degree.
- A 1.7 minimum grade in all upper-division business coursework.
- A 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA in all upper-division business courses.