Tacoma Virtual Pride Parade - Saturday, July 11, 2020 @ 11:00 am
The Rainbow Center - Educate, Advocate, Celebrate.
Black Lives Matter
To everyone affected by social injustices, especially the members of the Black, African, and African-American communities: We at the UWT office of Counseling and Psychological Services will continue to work against racial injustice. We realize that our anger, fear, and sadness regarding the violence of racism, both recently, and throughout history, MUST be channeled into continuing to support the UWT community and our students. Our work welcomes all experiences and feelings in response to these repeated individual and societal traumas and we will collectively work to do better in supporting you with compassion and humility. We also realize that our field has a history of being complicit in racial injustice and thus, we also will continue to work on dismantling and challenging this history both within our field, and within ourselves. We will continue to stand with you.
We are offering Group Counseling via Zoom over Summer 2020 quarter. For more information see our Services page
Counseling and Psychological Services is offering teletherapy services via Zoom for the Spring and Summer 2020 quarter. Here are instructions to use ZOOM
If you are interested in CAPS services please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will endeavor to respond as soon as possible and are checking emails and voicemails periodically during business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm except holidays). Please include the following information in your email:
- Your student ID number
- Full name
- Email address where you wish to be contacted
- Telephone number
- Days and times you would be able to meet with a clinician
Once you are scheduled with a clinician, you will receive an email with a link to the Zoom teletherapy session the day before your scheduled appointment. You will also receive a link to complete required online forms prior to your session. Instructions for completing these forms will be included in the email.
When meeting your counselor please consider the following:
There are potential benefits and risks of video-conferencing (e.g. limits to patient confidentiality) that differ from in-person sessions.
• Confidentiality still applies for telepsychology services.
• Sessions will not be recorded without your prior consent.
• You agree to use Zoom for our virtual sessions, and you will receive an e-mail prior to the scheduled appointment with a meeting invite and instructions on how to attend your appointment via Zoom.
• It is important to be on time. If you need to cancel or change your appointment you must notify Counseling & Psychological Services in advance by phone at (253) 692-4522 or e-mail at email@example.com.
• If you have not joined the Zoom meeting within 15 minutes of your scheduled appointment time the clinician will end the meeting and you will need to contact Counseling & Psychological Services to reschedule.
• It is important for you to be in a quiet, private space that is free of distractions (including cell phone or other devices) during the session.
• You agree to use a webcam or smartphone during the session. It is important to use a secure internet connection rather than public/free Wi-Fi.
• You agree to provide your physical location and address at the start of session.
• You agree to provide a phone number where you can be reached to restart the session or to reschedule it in the event of technical problems.
• You agree to provide the name and telephone number of a person who can serve as your emergency contact if there is an emergency or crisis.
IMPORTANT: We are not legally allowed to provide therapy or other clinical services outside of Washington state. You must be in Washington state at the time for each teletherapy appointment.
We are also available for consultation with students' families, faculty, staff, and community members. If you are in crisis or are concerned about a friend or loved one and need immediate assistance, here are some options:
- UWT Campus Security (253) 692-4416 (if you are on campus)
- UW Safe Campus (253) 692-7233 https://www.washington.edu/safecampus/
- Pierce County Crisis line 1-800-576-7764
- Crisis Text line: Text START to 741741 from anywhere in the USA, anytime, any type of crisis.
- Your closest hospital emergency room
Taking Care of Your Mental Health in the Face of Uncertainty - Advice from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention