Dual enrollment program

Main page content

The UW Tacoma has partnered with Tacoma Community College to offer a Dual Enrollment program. Students can attend both schools at once, and it’s easy to gain access to a wide variety of degree and certificate programs. On campuses just six miles apart, students will benefit from coordinated advising to help them make the best choices to meet their educational goals. Students enjoy a seamless transition between lower- and upper-division course work on the path to earning their bachelor’s degrees.

Tacoma Community College students

The dual enrollment program allows eligible Tacoma Community College students to take up to 25 credits at the UW Tacoma before submitting a complete UW Tacoma transfer application.

Dual enrollment students must meet the following requirements:

  • Complete 15 transferable, college-level credits at Tacoma Community College
  • Achieve 2.75 or higher cumulative GPA from all colleges attended
  • Complete English composition with a 2.0 or higher
  • Have less than 75 college-level credits
  • Submit official transcripts from all colleges attended


Apply for dual enrollment as a current TCC student

Current UW Tacoma students

Current UW Tacoma students may use the Dual Enrollment program to take courses at Tacoma Community College that may not be available at UW Tacoma. Students who enroll in 10 or more credits at UW Tacoma can have their TCC credits counted to meet full-time aid eligibility requirements. You are strongly encouraged to talk with an admissions advisor before applying for the Dual Enrollment program. To schedule an appointment, call 253-692-4742.

  • Apply for dual enrollment as a current UW Tacoma student. This is a two-step process.

1. Complete the TCC application. Important: On Page 2 of the TCC application, Question 4 asks "What is your intended major of study?" You must enter "Non-Award Seeking" for your application to be processed properly.

2. Complete the UW Tacoma Quarterly Dual Enrollment Update form.

Current UW Tacoma students are not charged an application fee to apply to the dual enrollment program.

Maintaining your dual enrollment status

Once you have entered the dual enrollment program, you must complete the online Quarterly Dual Enrollment Update survey each quarter to maintain your status. This form helps ensure proper tracking of your financial aid and registration. Enrollment in the dual enrollment program does not guarantee admission to a degree program.

If you are a TCC student admitted to the dual enrollment program, remember that once you have earned 25 credits at UW Tacoma, you will need to complete an application for transfer admission and pay the application fee if you wish to continue at UW Tacoma.

Tuition and financial aid

All students who participate in the dual enrollment program will be responsible for payment of tuition and fees to both TCC and UW Tacoma based upon each school's respective tuition schedule. You can find TCC's tuition and fee scale here and UW Tacoma's tuition and fee scale here.

To be considered for any type of financial aid, including scholarships, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Include the school codes from both UW Tacoma (003798) and TCC (003796). Current students who enroll in 10 or more credits at UW Tacoma can have their TCC credits counted to meet full-time aid eligibility requirements.

For information regarding financial aid, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 253-692-4374 or uwtfa@uw.edu. When completing financial aid forms, the University of Washington Title IV code is 003798.

Please be aware that Dual Enrollment students can only receive financial aid from one institution at a time – called the “home” institution. The home institution is the one at which you are taking 10 or more of your credits. For example, if you take 10 credits from TCC and 5 credits from UW Tacoma, you will receive your financial aid from TCC.

Students receiving financial aid are responsible for submitting tuition payment to the institution that is not their "home institution" for financial aid purposes.

Learn more about dual enrollment

Take advantage of the coordinated academic advising between Tacoma Community College and UW Tacoma. The Dual Enrollment Advisor will ensure that you don’t waste time and money taking courses you don’t need to earn your bachelor’s degree.

We can answer your questions about admission policies and procedures, registration, and student accounts, as well as direct you to useful campus resources and provide general financial aid information, including financial aid procedures and timelines. To learn more about the dual enrollment program, contact the Admissions office.