Interested in becoming a Part-Time Lecturer?
In accordance with UW's Faculty Code, all prospective part-time lecturers are required to submit application materials and potentially participate in a short interview led by a faculty review team. Application materials are then reviewed by the School of Education's voting-eligible faculty, and a recommendation for appointment is sent to the Dean of the School of Education. Thereafter, UW's Academic HR formally approves all academic hires. Please see the application instructions below for a complete listing of required documents and more detail of the pre and post application or appointment process.
Part-time lecturer positions, which are not tenure-eligible or tenure-leading, are assigned to teach courses on an as-needed bases based on the needs of the School. The course schedule is relatively fixed based on students’ scheduling needs and ordinarily cannot be modified for any reason.
Additional Instructions and Notes
- Please do not submit materials outside of this system, including to the Dean or individual faculty. Materials that are not submitted according to these instructions will be sent back to the applicant.
- As we have limited course offerings and must prioritize the schedules of all full-time faculty to ensure they meet their contractual obligations to the university, we may not always have opportunities for all applicants who are approved by the faculty to teach courses.
- To avoid perceptions of conflicts of interest, and because of our structure of shared governance at UW, where voting faculty must review/vote on all new academic appointments, the Dean usually cannot meet with applicants before or during the review process.
- Since hiring new employees is a complex process that involves multiple offices at UW and UW Tacoma, please ensure all requested materials ready to submit to avoid processing delays. Please respond to inquiries within 48 business hours and we will do the same.
2. PROGRAM AREAS IN THE SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
- Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership (EdD)
- Educational Administration Certification- Principal or Program Administrator Preparation
- EdS in School Psychology
- MEd for Practicing Educators
- Teacher Certification Programs: tracks in K-8 Special Education, K-8 TELL (Teaching English Learners), and Secondary (Mathematics and Science)
- BA in Education and Undergraduate Education Minors- Education & Community Engagement & Teaching, Learning, & Justice
3. APPLICATION MATERIALS
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the required application materials and process.
4. PROCESS FOR RETURNING PART-TIME LECTURERS
Each year, the School of Education’s Faculty Council is required by UW policy to vote on the renewal of returning part-time lecturers. Any part-time lecturer who has not been employed within the UW tri-campus system, including the Tacoma campus, for a calendar year or more, is considered to be “separated.” These individuals are required to submit updated documents using the process outlined in this document, and their candidacy will be re-voted on by the School of Education’s Faculty Council for re-hiring. A Sexual Misconduct Disclosure is also required.
Note: qualified and fully approved applicants will be offered opportunities as they become available. However, please note we may not always have teaching opportunities available, even for approved applicants.