Campus Safety Home

Main page content

Would You Know What to Do?

Catastrophes can happen at any time. Preparing for three days will help you make it through many of the disasters you’ll face in the Puget Sound region—including major storms and even small earthquakes.However, to make it through a major catastrophe – like Hurricane Katrina or the earthquake and tsunami in Japan – you’ll need to be prepared for longer—at least 7 to 10 days.

Local agencies across Puget Sound are teaming up to share information and encourage residents to prepare for catastrophic events with a regional campaign, What to do to Make it Through



EMERGENCIES: Always call  9-1-1 for Fire/Police/Medical

For non-emergencies

Dial 253-692-4416 or

Email: (temporary service interruption, please use


  • Emergency Information Line: 253-383-INFO
  • Facilities Services: 253-692-5700
  • SafeCampus: 253-692-SAFE
  • CARE Team ( Consulation, Assessment, Response,Education): 253-692-4901 or email 

Partnership with Tacoma Police

UW Tacoma Campus Safety & Security Department staff are not law enforcement. We work in partnership with City of Tacoma Police Department for emergencies that require law enforcement response. City of Tacoma Police officers spend time getting to know our people and our campus. City of Tacoma Police Department will quickly respond to violent crimes and other incidents beyond the capabilities of the Campus Security staff.

Prompt Reporting

We encourage you to promptly report any suspicious activity to Campus Safety and Security, even if you are not sure any criminal activity has taken place. Call 253-692-4416 to speak directly with a Campus Security Officer 24/7.

Access to Campus

If you need to be in a campus building after regular working hours, notify your supervisor or instructor as well as the Campus Security officer on duty so they can consider your safety during their patrols. Some campus rooms are protected by intrusion alarms; Campus Safety and Security Department should be called before entering these areas.



How do I get copy of my report?

All requests for reports go through the Office of Public Records and Open meeting.