Student Hiring Resource Page

Main page content


Job Titles and Descriptions - Undergraduate and Graduate Student Opportunities

  • Facilitators, mentors, undergraduate teaching assistants, and graders are involved in teaching support for Institute programs.
  • Student assistants work with faculty and staff members with administrative and lab support tasks.

Program Support

Student 390 Seminar Facilitators
Facilitator candidates should have the ability to be in a classroom several hours per week for the workshops. Facilitators are expected to be in the classroom time for the 390 workshops, construct worksheets, and attend meetings with their faculty supervisor. Facilitators are expected to have completed the course that they are facilitating with a 3.4 GPA or higher.

Graders are responsible for grading homework assignments and quizzes for courses within the Institute of Technology. Graders are expected to have gotten a good grade on the course (preferably 3.4 GPA or higher).

Mentor candidates should have the ability to be in a lab several hours per week to help students. They help students during lab hours and meet occasionally with the faculty member in charge of the mentors. Being involved in course support activities such as these will likely help you develop your communication and teaching skills, as well as help you learn the course material in even more depth. Mentors are expected to have completed all their coursework with with a 3.4 GPA or higher.

Undergraduate Teaching Assistants
Undergraduate Teaching Assistants are responsible for the TCSS 142 and TCSS 143 labs. Undergraduate Teaching Assistants are expected to have gotten a good grade on the course (preferably 3.5 or higher).

Student Assistants Administrative
Student Assistants support the Institute faculty, staff and students by responding to inquiries from prospective/current students, faculty, UW personnel and the community; they assist with special events; e.g. open houses, orientations, meetings with the director, etc.; assist advisors with projects relating to current and prospective students; assist faculty with curriculum-related projects and classroom needs; assist administrative staff and perform administrative duties: filing, photocopying, sending FAXs, preparing mailings, entering data into databases, creating spreadsheets; website updates, form creation and updates, and other duties as assigned.

Student Technical ("LAB") Assistant
Lab assistants support Institute technical staff in maintaining labs and other related tasks. These tasks are often done during breaks but also may occur during a quarter (summer quarter is typical).

Computing lab assistants install or upgrade, configure and test software and hardware, deploy disk and virtual images, and assist in other support operations. Other types of lab assistants help staff in specific engineering labs, and may require some specialized skills.

Job Qualifications

  • Facilitators for CSS workshops (the TCSS 390s) and mentors should have completed the following CSS core courses: TCSS 142, 143, 305, 321, 342, and 371 with good grades (preferably 3.4 or higher).
  • Positive attitude
  • Patience and willingness to help students with their questions
  • These positions may require up to about 10 hours per week of commitment.

In order to maintain eligibility for these appointments, students must be enrolled for at least:

Undergraduate students need to be enrolled in 6 credits
Graduate masters and professional students need to be enrolled in 4 credits
or each quarter in which you hold the appointment unless you are in “on leave” status. Students may be considered "on leave" as follows:

  • Undergraduates - For one quarter immediately following a quarter in which the student was enrolled for at least 6 academic credits (this includes summer quarter).
  • Graduate and Professional Students - When the student has applied for and been granted such status by the Dean of the Graduate School.

Orientation and/or Training

It is expected that you will attend any orientations and/or training sessions required for your position. You will be paid your normal hourly rate for attendance at these required sessions.
Your appointment classifies you as an Academic Student Employee (ASE) and is governed by a contract between the University of Washington and UAW Local 4121, which is at the following website: . Both you and the University of Washington are bound by the terms of this contract, so it is important for you to familiarize yourself with it. If you haven’t already done so, you will be offered an opportunity to join UAW Local 4121 and, as a member, you will pay dues each pay period. If you should choose not to become a member, the contract requires that you pay a monthly service fee.

Hiring Procedures - Human Resources/Payroll

Continuing employment or returning student employee
If you are continuing employment, you don't have to complete all the hiring paperwork. If you have worked here before and had a gap in employment, please complete the I-9 form and bring the completed form and accompanying document(s) with you to Zaide Chavez, in CP 133. If you are brand new, please follow the steps below.

The student will be responsible for submitting the hiring paperwork in a timely manner. If this is your first-time working as a student employee at UWT, please complete all forms. Students that have previously worked at UWT and have submitted this paperwork, will need to complete an updated I-9 and a W4 form (can be done online).

  • Personal Data Form
  • Employment Eligibility Form I-9 (Please review the required document list. You’ll need to bring one item from row A or one from B and one from C).
  • W-4 Withholding Allowance Certificate (can be done online once you're in payroll) Please update this once you're in payroll.
  • Direct Deposit Authorization (can be done online once your in payroll) If you don't sign-up for direct deposit, you'll get paper checks each pay period.
  • Online Affirmative Action Form (requires UW NetID – must be an active employee and must becompleted within 1 week of employment)
  • Work Study Students need a Work-Study Job Referral Form and Job Description. You can find more information on Work-Study Appointments here

Forms can be found here
These forms need to be completed and returned to the Institute of Technology’s Program Administrator. Location: Cherry Parkes Building, CP 133. If you need directions, please call the front desk at 253-692-5860.

If you're an international student, you must complete the requirements on the International Students on F1 visas link below.

International Students on F1 Visas

International students are allowed to work on-campus up to 19.5 hours for undergraduate student and 20 hours for graduate students per week while class is in session and unlimited hours during breaks such as summer quarter, winter break and spring break.

Social Security:

We will need to make copies of the following:

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-94
  • I-20

Bring all your completed forms, and if applicable passport, visa, I-94, I-20, and foreign national payment form to Zaide Chavez in CP 133.

Foreign National Payment Data Glacier (For tax reporting purposes)

Foreign Nationals will receive a notice from payroll. The name of the company is Glacier, so make sure to follow the instructions and complete the forms and send them to the mailbox office on the form. It should be UW Payroll.


  • The foreign national will be entered in OPUS (once I-9 and Personal Data forms are received in the UWT Payroll Office).  Please ensure the new employee’s personal or UW email is listed on the I-9 form.

  • The Payroll Coordinator will log into Glacier and enter the new employee’s name, employee id number, and email address. When this information has been submitted, the new employee will receive an email from “support@online-tax-net” with a header line of: Payments from University of Washington. This is the email from Glacier.

  • The new foreign national employee will click on the link in the email and begin answering questions that will determine what tax forms will need to be completed according to their status. The system will provide links to the tax form(s) at the end of this process.

  • The new FN employee will have 10 calendar days from receipt of the email to enter their information online.  If they do not complete the information within 10 day, the default for taxes will be at the highest amount from their pay.

  • Glacier support buttons are located on each page to assist your new FN employee through this process.

  • At the end of the process, the FN employee will receive a Tax Summary Report that will inform the employee of their tax residency status, tax treaty eligibility, and the required tax forms needed. The foreign national employee must send the completed tax forms directly to the main Payroll Office, Box 359555.

  • You will receive an email from Glacier after you’ve been entered in OPUS, and that it’s very important to complete the entire online process and follow the instructions at the end, using their individual Tax Summary Report.

  • Federal Witholding Taxes and Tax Treaties

Health Insurance

As a University of Washington student you may be eligible to enroll in the Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan. Information on this plan If you have questions, please contact the benefits office.

Student/Employee Affiliation Issue

Sometimes students don't see their timesheet after it's been setup. If you do not see your timesheet on MyUW/Employee Self-Services, please call 206-221-5000 and let them know that you need to be set up with dual server access. The affiliation between being a student and an employee needs to be updated by going here. Make sure to have your employee number and student number handy. Also, ask them for a PAC number.

You've been hired (What's next?)

Timesheets are due on the 1st and 16th day of the month.
Note: An online timesheet will be set-up for you to complete. You should see a timesheet tab on MyUW.  If this is your first-time working at UWT, please note that your timesheet may not be active until the period after you submit your paperwork. However, you'll be paid for time worked the previous period.

Submitting Timesheet Hours
For audit purposes please do not report hours worked via the online timesheet system as 12.99,  9.95, 9.24, etc.   We suggest that the hours be submitted as close to the quarter hour as possible. For instance 12.99 is practically 13 hours.  It should be reported as 13 hours, 9.24 hours is close to 9.25 so preferably, it should be reported as 9.25, not 9.24.     

Pay Days
Pay days are the 10th and 25th of each month.
Even, if you’ve submitted a direct deposit request, the first paycheck is always a paper one. This check can be picked-up at the finance office, which is located on the 4th floor of the Carlton Bldg. (the same location as the cashier). Make sure to update your address and direct deposit information on MyUW. You can contact Danelle Petersen at to see if there's a pay check in their office.