International Students

Main page content

You are considered an international student if you are not a U. S. citizen or permanent resident and you plan to attend a college, university, or other post-secondary education institution in the U.S. This includes applicants that hold U.S. visas as students, exchange visitors, or other non-immigrant classifications.

Graphic depicting a backpack.
Graphic depicting an open book.
Graphic depicting a 45 degree angled line contained within a circle.

Photo depicting 4 smiling international students posing with their fingers formed into the letter 'W'.

The UW Tacoma is proud to attract a global student body. About 7 percent of our student population come from outside the United States. Students who require a student visa (F-1 or J-1) to study in the U.S. are considered international students for admission to UW Tacoma.

International Student Admissions

First-year (freshman) international student

  • You have completed or will complete secondary school (high school) but have not yet attended any college or university.
  • You are taking college-level courses while you are still attending high school.

Transfer international student

  • You have completed college coursework after completing secondary (high school) education, regardless of the amount of credits earned.
  • You have completed high school and plan to enroll in college classes before attending the UW Tacoma.

International graduate students