Admission to the Criminal Justice Online (CJO) Program
The Criminal Justice degree offers a multidisciplinary understanding of crime and justice within the framework of broader social processes within our society. The Criminal Justice Online (CJO) degree completion program follows the same curriculum and major requirements as the on-campus CJ major. All 65 credits required for the major can be completed online, alongside other UW courses to help fulfill degree requirements.
The following information describes the admission requirements and application process for the CJ Online program. Applicants interested in the CJ campus program should review the CJ admission requirements.
To be considered for CJ Online program admission, applicants must:
- Be admitted to UW Tacoma (with completion of the intermediate algebra entrance requirement). Not a current UWT student? Apply first.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better.
> Current UW students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all UW coursework and be in good standing with the university.
> Transfer and Running Start applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all transferable coursework.
- Be on track to have completed at least 90 college-level quarter credits before the start of the CJ program.
- Have completed 5 quarter credits of English composition with a grade of 2.0/C or better.
Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Completion of all admission requirements.
- Academic history.
- Quality of their CJ Personal Goal Statement describing their interest in criminal justice.
The CJ Online program admits a cohort or students each autumn quarter only. All applicants must be admitted to UW Tacoma to be considered for CJ Online program admission.
Prior to applying for CJ Online program admission, applicants must complete all admission requirements for UW Tacoma and the CJ Online program. Transfer and Running Start applicants are encouraged to meet with a university admissions advisor prior to applying.
The annual priority deadline for the CJ Online major is April 1. The program will continue to review program applications completed after this deadline on a space-available basis.
CJ PERSONAL GOAL STATEMENT
The personal goal statement is an important element in the review of your qualifications. Please use this writing sample to point out relevant aspects of your life that may not be evident from your academic record.
Please address the following in a brief personal statement (no more than 650 words):
- Your interest in criminal justice and your reasons for pursuing a criminal justice major, and
- Your desired educational outcomes.
Review the CJ Online program's technical requirements and recommendations for Successful Online Learning.
How to Apply
After reviewing the admission requirements above, apply to the CJ Online program according to your student status:
CURRENT UW TACOMA STUDENT
Submit the following materials in PDF form to firstname.lastname@example.org (using your UW Email account):
RUNNING START STUDENT
Submit the following materials in PDF form to email@example.com:
- CJ Personal Goal Statement
- A Change of Major form (advisor signature not required)
- An unofficial copy of your up-to-date college transcripts (if you have new or in-progress coursework not reflected on your official transcripts at the time of your university transfer application)
- An unofficial copy of your high school transcripts (if you met the university math entrance requirement in high school)
RETURNING UW TACOMA STUDENT
Students who have not enrolled in UWT courses for more than one quarter (not including summer) are considered returning students and should reapply using the Returning Student Application. Students previously enrolled at UW Seattle or UW Bothell should apply using the Transfer Application.
Students that were enrolled in the CJ Online program before leaving UWT should notify the program of their intent to return to UWT and the CJ Online major via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students that were previously enrolled at UWT as a premajor or declared a different major should submit the following materials in PDF form to email@example.com once readmitted to UWT: