Admission Requirements for Criminal Justice Online Program
To be considered for CJ Online program admission, applicants must:
- Be admitted to UW Tacoma. Not a current UWT student? Please Apply to UWT.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better.
> Current UW students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all UW coursework and be in good standing with the university.
> Transfer and Running Start applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all transferable coursework.
- Be on track to have completed at least 90 college-level quarter credits before the start of the CJ program.
- Have completed 5 quarter credits of English composition with a grade of 2.0/C or better.
Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Completion of all admission requirements.
- Academic history.
- Quality of their CJ Personal Goal Statement describing their interest in criminal justice.
CJO Application Deadlines
The CJ Online program admits qualified students each autumn and occasionally winter quarter. Prior to applying for CJ Online program admission, applicants must complete all admission requirements for UW Tacoma; prerequisites to the CJ major must be complete before the start of the quarter you wish to enter. Transfer applicants are encouraged to meet with a university transfer counselor prior to applying. All applicants must be admitted to UW Tacoma to be considered for CJ Online program admission. Applications will be reviewed on a regular basis with decisions given in 1-2 days, up until three weeks prior to the first day of each quarter, unless the program fills prior to that time.
CJO Personal Goal Statement
The CJO personal goal statement is an important element in the review of your qualifications. Please use this writing sample to point out relevant aspects of your life that may not be evident from your academic record.
Please address the following in a brief personal statement (no more than 650 words):
- Your interest in criminal justice and your reasons for pursuing a criminal justice major, and
- Your desired educational outcomes.
Review the Criminal Justice Online program's technical requirements and recommendations regarding accessing technology.
How to Apply
After reviewing the admission requirements above, apply to the CJO program.
The following is needed to complete a CJ program application:
1. Your UW Tacoma student ID number (issued once admitted to UWT; can be found by logging in to MyUW).
2. Your number of earned and planned academic credits (You will need access to your academic record).
3. Criminal Justice Personal Goal Statement (prompts available in the web application).
Fill out and submit the CJO Program Application. You will also need:
- An unofficial copy of your up-to-date college transcripts (if you have new or in-progress coursework not reflected on your official transcripts at the time of your university transfer application)
- An unofficial copy of your high school transcripts (if you met the university math entrance requirement in high school)
Students who have not enrolled in UWT courses for more than one quarter (not including summer) are considered returning students and should reapply using the Returning Student Application. Students previously enrolled at UW Seattle or UW Bothell should apply using the Transfer Application.
Students that were enrolled in the CJ Online program before leaving UWT should notify the program of their intent to return to UWT and the CJ Online major via email to email@example.com.
Students that were previously enrolled at UWT as a premajor or declared a different major should fill out and submit the Program Application for CJ Online.
Note: International student applicants must meet all International Admissions Requirements before their CJ program application will be reviewed.